1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aren't you really glad you didn't get that job?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I though that it might be interesting and perhaps amusing to start a thread about the jobs that you applied for and didn't get. Now, however, you are looking back and you are heartily glad that you did NOT get the job!
    Anyway, I thought that I would start the ball rolling with my failure to be offered a post at a certain British School in Tehran. Watching the TV footage of the mob storming the British Embassy in the Iranian capital, I am VERY glad that I did not get that job!

2. Definitely Finland..... otherwise I would be teaching CLIL to the chn and TEFL to the teachers plus preparing the teachers' lessons for 7-15 year olds in two schools. Phew!!!!!
    I found that out at the interview.... Call me a time waster, if you like but I said errr no thanks.
    They didn't want me anyway so everyone was happy.

3. I applied for jobs in both Iran and Libya.....

4. Sometimes I think there are more chiefs than Indians posting here so who would dare?
    Well, unless you had a sublime sense of humour.
    In my case, I doubt if one Ministry of Education would report my shortcomings to another and if they did I'd catch the next flight to Vanuato. [​IMG]

5. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I would like to hear from some of the people who did get those jobs......

6. Indeed...
    I would love to hear from the polyglot, pedagogue from the Balkan States. [​IMG]
    Envy, envy.....

7. In my example, you won't hear from them; funny farm fodder now, without a doubt.

8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I might have difficulty finding a position, because I'm a bit fussy about location. But, even if I relaxed my requirements substantially I'd never be that desperate!

Not that much social opportunity for women in these countries either. So, are you a double-bagger?

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Safe for now.
    But don't forget that your country's natural state is one of warlordry harnessing brigands and bandits.
    Every now and then a Super-Warlord - Ferdinand and Isabella, General Franco - can ensure a period of relative calm and security by crushing opponents.
    F & I called themselves Reyes, Franco preferred Caudillo. Both terms mean 'warlord' - and a brigand is a brigand, whether dressed up as the preserver of Catholic Spain or more attractively attired as a Basque Nationalist or a Leftist Revolutionary.
    The current guarantors of order in Eternal España are the Big Boring Barons of Brussels. But this happy state of affairs may come to an end, and then many parts of Europa may witness what happened in the Roman Empire when headquarters could no longer afford or be bothered to underwrite European Unity in the fifth century AD.
    So keep your dagger sharp and your rifle loaded, che.

10. Well, if the going gets that tough I can always go HOME and contemplate the flora and fauna I so miss.
    Besides I hear Ruritania is not doing so well although that won-t affect you as I imagine you are up there with those scoundrels who caused this chaos.
    Oh to read -No Baboons in India-.
    Ooops have to change the language settings on my keyboard.
    Un abrazo, cari;o

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Ned Kelly. Gough Whitlam. Shane Warne. Noah's Aaaak. The Red-back on the Toilet Seat. The drug-crazed Koala. The brigands who are going to sell Uranium to anyone who puts his hand up.
    We've been allied with Britain to help us against our loony neighbours for hundreds of years. There'll always be a Ruritania.
    Certainly not. I'm a teacher at an international school where the 90% of middle class parents are in it as deep as you and me. The 5% of superwealthy and the 5% of working-class full scholarship kids will be fine.
    Yes. get weaving, Captain, my Captain.
    um abraço tambem p'ra senhora, pa.

12. As an afterthought...
    I am GLAD I am a source of entertainment for one who sits and writes. I'll diffuse your peculiar history lesson to my 'friends'.
    And to the left and right of Basque nationalism, Gora Euskadi!
    [​IMG]

13. OK.