1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Area of a Trapezium

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Mr_Mathematics, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Mr_Mathematics

Mr_Mathematics Occasional commenter

Hello
    I have written a new blog about how to find the area of a trapezium using rectangles and parallelograms so students do not need to remember the formula.

Please do give it a read and leave a comment.
    Thank you
    Jonathan

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

But then there would be no need for the song.

Piranha likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Happy memories. I used to conduct but not sing, telling them I really wanted to be a music teacher but I couldn't because I couldn't sing. One girl retorted "but Mr xxx (Head of Music) can't sing and he is a music teacher. Struggled to keep a straight face.

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

An easier way is to divide the trapezium into 2 triangles, and get them to do the half the base x the height for both triangles and add them together.

With my lower ability students, they would really have a hard time conceptualising the movement of the triangle to the opposite side, but splitting it in two distinct triangles, and then using the height in the middle of the trapezium for for both the triangles' heights seems to be working.

Piranha likes this.
  5. Mr_Mathematics

Hello Catbefriender
    Thanks for the comment. I really like the triangles approach. Will give it a go next time I teach trapeziums.
    Thank you
    Jonathan

catbefriender likes this.
  6. Mr_Mathematics

This is brilliant. Forget my idea - teach this.