1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are Your Windows Cleaner Than Your Parents' Windows Were?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, May 26, 2019.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Mine are much cleaner. My parents were slovenly.

1 person likes this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Is this "If you can't beat 'em, join' em"?

3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Not sure about the windows but my grill is.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Probably not, but the window cleaner did the outside this week and I did the inside last week.

nizebaby likes this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Mine are filthy but we have just moved in so haven't sorted out window cleaner yet. I did have a go at cleaning some of them inside so a little better.Paint a plaster is a pain to remove.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Me mam stopped work after getting married.

7. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

No because I am much lazier than either of them were.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

No, my mother set great store by having clean windows and nets. I could never come close.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No chance. Here's my great grandpa George singing about it:

My windows are so filthy I can't even see if it's turned out nice again.

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I don't really remember. My mother was very house proud ..... I was always caught if I had so much as just opened one of her drawers (I was/ am obsessive 'rooter") I don't remember window cleaners so must presume that my father would have cleaned the large shop windows..... but then...he mist well have left them to my mother - he was good like that.

I hate cleaning windows. Hate it when there are streaks, hate all the cleaners which promise no streaks (I include vinegar and newspaper in with that) Have 4 dogs who come into this lounge, jump on the settee by the window and create not at all interesting 'nose-snot art'.

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Get a Karcher suction window cleaner. It revolutionises the entire experience. Fun times!

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Tried and tested: wipe the window with a cloth dipped in a bowl of water and washing up liquid. Wipe dryish with kitchen roll. Buff completely dry and smear-free with a clean tea towel.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My mother (almost 90) still cleans the insides of her windows every week. I do mine once or twice per year but only if they really need doing.

nizebaby likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We move home when the windows are dirty, same as changing the car when the ashtray is full.

16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Both my parents had cleaning obsessions. Probably OCD in my dads case. So no, I don't come up to their standards.

17. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Certainly not cleaner than my gran's. She was very particular; about her windows because they kept up appearances. Didn't matter what the rest of the house was like as long as the windows were clean the curtains straight,Don't look like a lodging house she would say (though I never understood what the connection was)
    She would disapprove of my windows as they're covered in dust/sand but not much I can do as we're several floors up and no window cleaner,

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It’s the only way to go!

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I remember years ago when my son took his first steps.
    The window cleaner was furious.

Dunteachin likes this.
  20. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

No. Of course not. My mum had a window cleaner. Not like that. Oi!
    I don't have a window cleaner. Who wants to go up a three storey house? No one. Probably need scaffolding these days to clean my windows.
    And if I clean the insides it just looks horrible and streaky. Leave well alone says I.