1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you worried about the future

Discussion in 'Personal' started by S1a3t5u7r9n, Jun 2, 2020.

1. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

I have read your threads for a long while and thought I was impressed with the content
    I have started various threads for very valid reasons and been the subject of mockery

I will try again
    Do you think there is a high probability of a second spike
    Even if it occurs later in the year

ShowerGel and sodalime like this.
  2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I think it depends how you look at it. The first "spike" has been mostly in London. Just as London is coming out of it, it's now looking like it's the north of England's turn. So this could appear to be a second spike when in actual fact it's more of a regional difference. I am concerned that the easing of lockdown is based on London data and that the current situation in northern England is being disregarded.

3. S1a3t5u7r9n

A very good point
    What worries me is who in government is considering the future.

I think there will be a second spike in London
    Not sure when
    Do not have enough real scientific info

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've been worried about the future all my life. All I can tell you is that we are doomed as a species and eventually we will finish ourselves off. Personally, I'd say the sooner the better.

The virus is a major worry, but the response of the people to the virus is far more frightening.

Most people aren't very bright and will be very fortunate not to spread the virus.

We'll need a week or two to see how many more hundreds per day are dying.

The deaths will level off at around three hundred to four hundred a day and this will be seen as acceptable.

If you're on clear water you can see the calm ahead and the calm behind. You are on a flat quite still surface floating along merrily.

In the Amazon generation calm water is imagined ahead. This mirage is grasped at, but it is an illusion. The deep sickness inherent in the species frustrates the twisted illness and leads to further suffering. Since the virus doesn't operate on a one-for-one basis, doesn't discriminate and is indifferent, people don't get the payback from their behaviour.

Even so, someone is responsible for the dead. But, everyone is happy because they can't be held accountable.

If everyone were dead and only I remained, I'd stop worrying about the future. The fact the species is still going is a major concern to me. But then, we are a virus.

sodalime, Nanny Ogg and ajrowing like this.
  5. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

No. The virus was present in communities for two months before long ckdowns started. People had it without knowing, have immunity, cross-over immunity from other Corona viruses, or didn’t react.
    That’s not to say people with other conditions will not be vulnerable.

6. S1a3t5u7r9n

Thank you for your considered response
    How refreshing for someone to offer thei take on the situation
    I don’t know enough about viruses but I hope this current one just self destructs

7. S1a3t5u7r9n

Hi Alex
    So when did the first virus arrive in the UK

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

As long as Peter and Jane continue having how's your father at every available moment, as seems the case judging by the number of overloaded puschairs driven by teenagers in the towns I frequent, your worries are baseless.

lexus300 and agathamorse like this.
  9. S1a3t5u7r9n

Are there weather related considerations with this virus?
    If you stop transmission does it die out or does it hibernate

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Obviously.

sodalime likes this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Transmission is a bit slower in higher temperatures.

sodalime likes this.
  12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Daughter is a scientist at a London hospital. They (and every other hospital) are preparing for a second spike in Autumn/early Winter - flu season. But she and many of her colleagues are becoming less sure that it's going to come, and if it does, think that it may not be as severe as was at first thought.

But that's this week's thoughts …. who knows what next week will bring?

LiamD, Jamvic, smoothnewt and 2 others like this.
  13. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Have you no shame? Do your own research :p

14. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Of course there's going to be a second spike.

15. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Plan now for autumn lockdown.

16. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

There will be a series of spikes. The response is now to protect 'the economy' (actually the wealth of the rich) rather than deal with the virus.
    Between that, the lunacy of Brexit, the rise of the far right across the world, the possibility of the orange idiot pressing the big red button because everyone doesn't recognise how bigly amazing he is, climate change and the continuing rapacious destruction of everything by capitalism, things aren't looking so good right now.
    Mostly I think you have to paraphrase Slartibartfast - "I sometimes think the chances of actually sorting anything out are so astoundingly remote you might as well hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. I'd far be happy than right"

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The virus will run its course, it matters little what we do IMO.
    Previous similar episodes give guidance on what will happen.
    A vaccine being freely available to everyone who wants/needs it, is the only sensible approach to controlling the virus.
    All the other hysterical reactions merely fuel more and more anxiety with societal bad behavior consequences. The people actually need less information at this time of uncertainty, the daily happy hour bombardment merely reinforces anxiety and has become a terror weapon IMO.

George_Randle and Kandahar like this.
  18. S1a3t5u7r9n

Thanks for another great contribution
    Bleak outlook but at least Borishas decided to get a grip on the situation.
    PMQ’s might be worth a watch

19. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Without reliable testing of the entire population, silent spreaders won't be identified. That's just one of many issues.

nomad likes this.
  20. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Far more productive than worrying about the past.

Kandahar likes this.