1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

are you UPS1 and TLR2? pay query...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kittenjames, Sep 28, 2015.

1. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

I've just moved schools and authority and got a massive shock when i just checked my pay. i've gone from 0.5 to full time and was therefore expecting my pay to be roughly double what it was previously.

it's nowhere near that. it turns out my TLR2 hasn't been added (grrrr!!) and i fear i may also be on the wrong tax code.

apparently no one can look at this until tomorrow. so in the meantime, before i collapse in a heap on the floor, can anyone tell me what their take-home is on this pay grade? i realise that the TLR2 is a scale and i'm not certain of my amount (will check tomorrow), but a ball-park figure would be really helpful at this point.
    thank you in advance.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can find out by entering your specific details into the pay calculator here…

www.tesfaq.co.uk

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You may well find that your pension contributions have taken you over the threshold. It happened to me when I got a promotion. Can take a big chunk..

4. coppull

coppull New commenter

You will be in for a bigger shock next April,when you pay 1.4% extra in National Insurance contributions on your salary !!

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Even if gross pay doubles, your take-home pay will nowhere near do that.
    If you earn £20k, say, then only about £10k is taxed (working very roughly).
    If you earn £40k, you are taxed on about £30k, so you'll be paying three times as much tax.