1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you told you must stay in school till a certain time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by star17, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Just wondered as we are - 4:30.

Wondered if this common as in my last school (this is only my 2nd school and I'm in my 2nd year) this didn't happen. Doesn't really affect me as normally always stay till later but just wondered as occasionally (like today!) I'd like to go earlier without feeling like I have to ask.

We are a state primary whereby all children go home at 3:30

2. Just wondered as we are - 4:30.

Wondered if this common as in my last school (this is only my 2nd school and I'm in my 2nd year) this didn't happen. Doesn't really affect me as normally always stay till later but just wondered as occasionally (like today!) I'd like to go earlier without feeling like I have to ask.

We are a state primary whereby all children go home at 3:30

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm an NQT, but at my 2 placement schools and now at my new school this doesn't happen. I've never heard of it I have to say. Is there a reason you have to stay so late? Seems a bit unfair as some people may want to pick up kids then work more at home later on, which seems fair to me.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No time set as we're trusted professionals who are allowed to do our work when se see fit, so long as it gets done. Staggering that it should be otherwise in some schools. We're only required to stay later on staff meeting day and clubs day.
    The only thing that's slightly frowned upon is elbowing the kids out of the way to get out of the door at 3.15 on the nose, which is fair enough. Although I have done that a few times. Not the elbowing, you understand, just the getting out at 3.15.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Wow, some horrifying bad practice going on in some schools.
    Directed time for non leadership scale, not just leadership team, teachers is 1265 hours in a normal year. In my school this means a day of 8:40 to 3:45, 1 hour for lunch, 2 1 hour meetings or management sessions after school, 5 INSET days and 3 parents' evenings.
    If you are being directed to stay in school, say for an hour, on 3 more days a week, that adds 114 hours to your directed time - I very much doubt that any school has that much time to play with.
    Advice: check your directed time, ask for the school's directed time budget, consult your local union office(s) and get your union reps to educate management about the requirements of the STPCD. Even if 'most staff don't have a problem with the arrangements' you are perfectly entitled to walk out of school when your directed time obligations have been met.

6. Thanks everyone for your comments. Very interesting!