1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you telling your Head you're striking or not?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Loony tunes, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Our Head has asked us to know if we are striking. I know that she's not supposed to do this but I personally don't have an issue with telling her but others in school are determined not to. What are you doing?

2. Loony tunes

Our Head has asked us to know if we are striking. I know that she's not supposed to do this but I personally don't have an issue with telling her but others in school are determined not to. What are you doing?

3. All in our school privately informed the Head today whether or not we plan to strike.
    I can see the argument for not telling them, but we decided (individually) that we would do so in order to make life easier for the children's families. I suspect we may remain open to classes where staff are in a different union.

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

I have informed my head as a matter of (what I feel) is common courtesy. Heads also need to know in advance if they have enough staff in school to be able to open.

5. Loony tunes

Thanks for your replies. That's how I feel. There are just a couple of very militant people in my school who attempt to control everyone and I just needed a bit of reassurance that I wasn't the only one who feels that its just courtsey to let her know. Thanks!

6. We arranged a meeting with everyone in our union and informed the HT that we were striking. It actually came in our guidance from the union that we had to inform the HT.

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Ditto.

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I think telling them is the decent thing to do. I wouldn't dream of not mentioning it and then not coming in!

9. Loony tunes

Which union are you in? I've had people from both try to tell me not to tell her! I think I'll just have a quiet word with the Head and not tell the others I've done it. They're so full on they're scary! Thanks

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

People really should inform the head they're not coming in, for the sake of the children.

11. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'd be livid if my children's school was unable to let me know in advance whether I need to arrange to take leave from my job or arrange alternative childcare. I'm still waiting to hear.
    Many parents are unhappy with the planned strike (that's a separate argument. I, for one, support you!). To leave parents unable to make plans will only upset them more and lose the support you have from others.
    The children want to know too. My yr 5 daughter and her classmates have asked their class teacher and he apparently refused to tell them. It's the day of their summer concert, so it'd be a double whammy to miss that too.

12. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

My understanding was that Unions adviced teachers to tell their Heads of their intentions. Some paper work I got said to tell Heads by June 23rd, if possible.