1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you stockpiling for no deal?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Aug 26, 2019.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I read in the paper that some are stockpiling tins. medicines and toiletries. I did get a small pile in advance of the March deadline but am now using those up. Not sure I can be bothered again.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm going to stock up on loo roll for home and for my student tenants. The latter get a big welcome pack from me in September and I think that prioritising loo roll will be the best option this year but I'll also include all the other stuff that they will share, such as tea, coffee, sugar and cleaning products.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The only reason I'd stockpile is to avoid the (any excuse for a) no deal price rise.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have a large storage cupboard in my bathroom. Half of the shelves hold towels. I like to keep the other half stocked up with loo rolls. My nature abhors a vacuum!

emerald52 likes this.
  6. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Why is the government stubbornly going through with no deal? WHy are they doing this to the people of the UK and Europe? WHy do they want to mess up years of agreements between the UK and the EU?FOr what reason?

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well if you could answer those questions with realistic answers (not the taking back sovereignty one which is bull) maybe the idiots that voted for it might change their minds. The turkeys have voted for Christmas.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've started buying in a few things to store.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

25% of people are stockpiling. Just messes up supply chains. The amount of medication with issues from people struggling to source it due to stockpiling is ridiculous. Both Mrs M and myself have had supply issues.

It’s just bluster to try and bludgeon the WA through Parliament.

EmanuelShadrack and emerald52 like this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Why? Almost all loo rolls are made in the UK, so they won't be held up at Dover.

Stocking up on Brie might be more sensible, although I think Cornish Brie is at least as good as French. Some Pâté de foie gras might be useful, too, if your students have expensive tastes. French bread, though, is almost exclusively made in the UK, despite its name.

needabreak, colpee and peter12171 like this.
  11. florian gassmann

They are not. They want a better Withdrawal Agreement (i.e. without the backstop). No deal is the fallback position if the EU refuse to negotiate.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have a significant stock of 10mm nuts and bolts, at current rate of use, several life times worth. Also enough left-behind, can-you-look-after-this belongings to give the impression of having a very materialistic teenager still living with us.

If anyone needs to make any cap-bombs (supply your own caps), I'll trade for loo roll (aloe-vera preferably).

colpee, emerald52 and Corvuscorax like this.
  13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I've usually got a plentiful supply of canned stuff in the cupboards anyway, but I'll be stocking up on a few more things. There's no reason not to.

Having said that, I'm in London, and so will probably be unaffected, for the most part. If I was in some remote rural location, I would most certainly be stocking up bigtime.

14. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I have a stock pile. It isn't specifically for Brexit, its for other possibilities too, like a dirty bomb, getting snowed in ( we are on a very steep hill, so it has happened that it is impossible to leave the house) or personal health problems. I've broken my leg in the past and been unable to leave the house for weeks.

I have water and food for a couple of weeks, things like biscuits and tinned fruit, that need no electricity or gas to make them edible. emergency medicine, disinfectant, a cheap Geiger counter, foil, water filter, water purification tablets, toilet roll, batteries, torches, radio, solar panel. dynamo,

I use the solar panel daily anyway, to charge my lap top and phone.

I did stock up both my children in college, with enough for them not to need to leave home,for week or so, in the case of civil unrest in their locations. Likely in one case, unlikely in the other. However, of course, both have moved since the March deadline, and ate up their supplies rather than move them, so I will stock them up again.

emerald52 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

Well that's a good enough reason in itself.

emerald52 likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How much of the woodpulp raw materials to make it comes from the UK?

monicabilongame and SundaeTrifle like this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I understood that the huge rolls of paper comes from the Continent and is turned into loo rolls at factories in the UK. That's what Greg Wallace was showing us last year!

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I have considered getting both my children home for the leaving day itself, although the predictions I have heard, mostly from Westminster advisers, is that any serious trouble is likely to start later on in the year, rather than actually at the start of November

19. EmanuelShadrack

Well I could direct you to this thread:

https://community.tes.com/threads/so-what-now-for-brexit.784502/

but it's rather a long read, and to be read selectively.

There are plenty of other resources on why no-deal is being pushed in certain quarters. I would strongly recommend your researching it - it's interesting reading.

20. florian gassmann

No idea, but I bet none of it comes through Dover.