1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you Scottish?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If so, say these out loud:
    Purple burglar alarm.
    Irish wristwatch.
    If not, then say them aloud in a Scottish accent.
    I'm easily amused.

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

... or the old classic 'there's been a murder'.
    Yes, I am Scottish by the way!

3. Clearrrly.

4. "There's been a murder"

Get oot o' ma swamp

and my pronunciation of words like "film" and "book" cracks them up!

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Oh please. It's "The burglar says there's been another murder."

6. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Aye...... Doctor Findlay!

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Gies twa bridies an an inun un an awe!

8. Aberdonian guy goes into a ski shop, and holding up a pair of skis, says "Fit fit fur fit fit?"

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

What's so funny? Doesn't everyone watch nature fillums about burds and wurrums?

10. They watch them fillums in Noornireland too.

11. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I thought my Scottish was improving by being part of the WSD v KC thread, but
    translation please?

12. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

They do indeed. My grandad from Belfast watched fillums.

13. Please may I have two pasties and an onion one, as well.

14. Hell slap it intae ye!

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I once went to Aberdeen for an interview, this involved me getting a bus outside the train station and asking for my stop, I gathered there was a "poond" in the reply so I handed over two and recieved some change. I then asked if the driver would let me know when I got there as I'd never been before, he then said something in accent with a trace of english, possibly the only time a native english speaker has said something clearly audible to me that I have literally not understood a word of.
    I used to work with a bloke inevitably called Jimmy (from somewhere in Fife) who was similar, though the understanding was distance related. If he was within about 6 feet I could understand him, beyond that though I really didn't have a clue.

16. I had to have a transaltion of the after match interview with Kenny Dalglish, yesterday....mind you I only caught every other word of Stevie G's interview.

17. No doubt called you 'Neebs' and talked aboot his 'baffies'!

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My boys used to fall about at the way OH pronounces "Khaki" - admittedly it didn't often happen.

19. I'm Aberdonian and work in Sheffield and LOVE confusing kids wi a bit o' Doric every now and then.....usually I say something like; "stop ficherin' aboot" or "fit ye on aboot".....
    Going back up north for a bit in the Summer and looking forward to it; my husband gets confused when I'm up there because I go back into broad Aberdonian (or Aberdeenish and he calls it!) and it takes me a week or two of being back in Sheffield to learn to "refine" it again.....
    Oh; haud yer wisht is another one I like!!!
    fit fit fur fit fit meaning what foot for what foot - ah I LOVE it!!!!!! [​IMG]