1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you REALLY closed?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by karlo1981, Mar 21, 2020.

?

Are you fully closed?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2020.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

Hello friends.

I’m the head of a primary school in Staffordshire. Just wondering.....are any schools actually closed from Monday? I.e. lights off, gates locked.

2. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 Occasional commenter

Hello,

I'm the deputy head at a primary school in warrington. Are you not required to stay open to provide a 'Reduced provision' for children of key workers?

install likes this.
  3. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

Yes. We are doing so. The question was to find out whether some schools were actually closed closed.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I know one that is as they’re very small but their key worker and vulnerable children are going to the neighbouring school.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lisa54321

Sorry if my reply was rude I didn't mean it they way. I just thought that you was saying your school was closed and you was asking if others were, obviously you didn't mean it that way so my apologies.

6. Lisa54321

We have around 75 children coming in.
    Our local authority wanted our children to go to the neighbouring school with their staff.

However we have since fought and worked tirelessly to ensure that our 'reduced provision' is staffed by our own employees and is based at our own primary school.

7. meg7

meg7 New commenter

We are 'closed', but our key worker children are going to a neighbouring school with our staff there to help support. We are a very small, rural school though.

8. Lisa54321

Will the staff be given key cards to allow them to move around the building then??

9. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

We're open and staff expected in on Monday.

10. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’m the Headteacher of a primaryschool in the midlands. We currently are operating on a reduced provision. We usually have 14 classes, we are currently only facilitating 4 at the moment. Mixed year groups. All after school sessions are cancelled.
    There is always at least 1 member of SLT in at all times, along with 4 teaching colleagues, the office manager, site manager, cleaners and kitchen staff.
    All Teaching Assistants are not required to attend work.
    The teaching colleagues are rotated so it’s fair for all.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

All staff?

12. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

Why not utilise TA's more rather than teachers? Teachers can find plenty to do at home by working on sessions that can be uploaded to wherever to continue teaching. I'm CoG and we're providing potentially for up to 20 children (14 yesterday) and, whereas teachers are geared up to working from home, TA's aren't. We have one SLT, one teacher, TA's plus a safeguarding and first aider all on a rota.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think this, in a way. However there was a post on one of the primary FB pages I belong to where a school has done exactly this and people are absolutely up in arms about it. Apparently it is unfair that TAs are being told to risk their lives to be in school with pupils when teachers can safely stay at home. Whatever you do, you can't win.

14. onelittleislandboy

onelittleislandboy New commenter

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm an HT in a large primary school but we only had a very small number of key worker students needing care. We have gone with a rota of teachers/T.A.'s coming in to try and make it fairer. It isn't of course. The teachers still have to produce content but the T.A.'s appreciate that it isn't just them on the frontline. As the Head, of course, I'm in every day in case someone on the rota is ill! Which has a whiff of 'Captain Smith' about it!

15. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I think you need to rota yourself off site at some point. We only have small numbers needing it from our first day 14 kids down to 2 today. We are doing 2xCT in, 2xTA (on call) and 1x Office (on call). This is done on a weekly basis so that we try to reduce the number of people in contact during a week. Went on basis that if one of the kids had it last week then it would only have hit me and the 2x teachers in. If you are in everyday and have picked it up you could, unknowingly, pass it on to your staff and be left without enough teachers who are not self-isolating to keep school going.