1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are You Prepared for Windows 7 End of Life?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

One in four Windows users is running Windows 7. Are you still using Windows 7 on your PC or laptop? If you are you need to take action as it reaches EOL today.

Windows 7 Support Ends January 14, 2020

Windows 7 is due to reach End Of Life (EOL) on 14 January 2020. The importance of upgrading from Windows 7 cannot be understated. Microsoft itself has told its loyal army of fans that any PCs that continue to leverage the 2009 operating system will still work, but they’ll be “more vulnerable to security risks”....user data and information could potentially be accessed by hackers exploiting software flaws.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-51090407

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...ecurity-risks-revealed-Windows-10-upgrade/amp

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The advice from Microsoft...

Computers running Windows 7 will still function after Tuesday but they will become less and less secure. Microsoft is urging people to move to Windows 10.

"Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10," it said. "And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC."

It is possible to install Windows 10 on old PCs but Microsoft warns that it may not run smoothly. In order to run Windows 10, PCs must have a 1GHz processor, 16GB of hard drive space, and 1GB of RAM memory.

"While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended," Microsoft said. That said, Windows 7 users do not need to upgrade if they use their PC offline.

I can’t even remember what I’ve got running on my laptop it’s that long since I’ve used it. I just use my iPhone for everything now. I’ll have to check it in the morning, if I can remember my login & password :oops:.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I hate typyng with one finger and I've no intention of typing with two thumbs.

chelsea2, Jamvic and towncryer like this.
  4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I have no idea what my computer runs. Happy to leave all that to other half.As long as it works when switched on I'm happy.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That’s my OH’s view on it too so it’ll be me that has to check if we’re secure or not :(I don’t even use the blooming thing since I retired, think I needed it just twice last year.

Seriously considering transferring any old docs that might be important one day & old photos to an external hard drive (I know I’ve got a 2TB one hanging around somewhere from when I was working). Then putting a nail through the laptop’s hard drive if it turns out it’s running Windows 7. Buying a new one would be a hassle but I suppose it’s peace of mind on the security front.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

We have an ancient Sony Vaio . I transferred stuff ages ago onto a hard drive when an 'Armageddon' type of message appeared on the screen - ha ! It is still alive and kicking though and as a purchase when dinosaurs roamed the earth well worth the money .....I scan every now and again and we have Norton. I think I keep it for sentimental value as I know that I shall never really use it again ..... except curiously for e mailing things ( material / resources / articles ) to colleagues on these forums. Our I pads are old and my i phone needs changing - some serous 'biting the bullet action' required soon I suspect :p:eek:. Our son is always going on at us to upgrade ....

Jamvic likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My back up laptop (Thanks Nomad) runs Vista. Works fine for what I need it for.

Dodros, nomad, T34 and 1 other person like this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And more money in Microsoft's bank! I use a chromebook for all our everyday stuff and a couple of external hard drives to store photos and important docs etc. Chromebook £160, cheapest new Windows machine £300? Plus all the fees for office etc and the contsant upgrading (more money) for security. Chromebook does all that automatically for free.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

nomad, bonxie and Jamvic like this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Plus the chromebook boots up in about 10 seconds compared to the (seems like) half and hour for a Windows machine.

catmother and Jamvic like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

You might just have convinced me there @blazer £160 sounds very tempting. Any downsides to a Chromebook over a Windows machine that I should consider?

Although i haven’t even checked if we’re even using Windows 7 yet.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Chromebooks rely on a wifi connection to run. They don't have full functionality for office stuff although they come with their own stuff (google docs) for word processing, spread sheets and presentations although to be fair they are not as good as Office stuff. You can use online office software for free which is a bit better and I believe you can access full versions if you pay (Its Microsoft, you always pay). Google docs is fine for writing letters etc but you may run into problems sending them as attachments as the receiver may not be able to open them. If I am sending something important I either turn it into a pdf or copy in into word online and send that. They are a bit like a mobile phone in that everything is app based and so you can download apps (usually free) for loads of stuff if you need to edit photos or sample music for instance.
    They also weigh a lot less than a windows machine. They have usb ports and a sd card port. Mine (the cheapest chromebook 11) does not have a connection for a projector and so I have not used it in school (I use my old windows one if the school does not provide).

Jamvic likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You also get 100Gb of cloud storage free for the first 24 months and 17Gb free thereafter (I have never exceeded 800Mb in the 5 years I have had my chromebook).
    Battery life is reasonable. 10 hours on one charge. Charging fully usually takes about an hour.
    It also comes with a webcam and microphone built in so you can skype etc.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Thank you. That will save me a bit of time wondering how to find out. I’d not even thought that far ahead. When I get back home I’ll force myself to drag the thing out and have a look.

15. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I have Windows 7 and I shall stick with it. All my software had to be renewed when I swapped from XP to Windows 7 years ago and I'm not prepared to buy updated software again - too expensive! (also my website wouldn't work on Windows 10 due to software). I shall rely on my friendly computer bloke if it gets invaded (as it did in 2016 with the Ransom virus that wiped it all out)

Jamvic likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Oh, and if you use an android phone it is fully compatible.:)

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Cheers @blazer for the Chromebook overview. It sounds as though it would cover most of what I would ever need. Not working means I no longer need the full functionality of a PC/laptop. Which is lovely.

Edit: Ah. Just seen your last post I use iPhone but OH uses Android.

blazer likes this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:eek: How annoying.

Pageant likes this.
  19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My laptop still has Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first came out but just could not be bothered with the layout and reverted to Windows 7.
    The said laptop nearly died a few years ago and I was ready to accept that a new one would be Windows 10. However,the very skilled technician we had a school at the time(he soon moved on to a better job!) rebuild it for me,so the laptop still lives.
    I'm now retired so don't need Word and Powerpoint anymore and I would definitely get a Chromebook next. My husband has one and it's so light,runs for ages on the battery and seems to do everything my laptop does (ie,surf the net). Yes,it has not got Office but Google documents/sheets are enough for me now.

blazer, minnie me and Jamvic like this.
  20. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Bought an OEM Windows7 Pro licence on EBay 5 yrs ago. I get a pop-up every day informing me it is not a valid licence ( nicked from Dell apparently) so I turned off Microsoft updates 3 years ago. I have not had any problems because I do not use dodgy websites, download software or open emails from unknown origins. I was using Win XP without problems 5 years after support was withdrawn. There is nothing I want in Windows 10 - charms are rubbish. the default for cookies should be OFF. Advertisers that use video ads should be compensating me for their use of MY broadband line and Microsoft should develop simpler, smaller, cheaper more secure operating systems on ROM ( read only memory) plug-in cartridges that cannot be updated/ hacked via external sources.

Jamvic likes this.