1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you plagued by telemarketing calls?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Apr 28, 2012.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've been known to use some pretty rude words too. However,this doesn't stop them from phoning the next day and the next. I'm on the phone preference,therefore it cuts it down a bit but I still get the ones from "abroad" . The ones I've been getting more and more are the ones phoning on behalf of some government scheme or other. I hate those too.

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Telephone Preference Agency cuts out a lot. If you have caller display the Out of Area indicates a call from abroad so, unless you have someone from abroad calling your, just don't answer.
    My husband got someone one evening telling him that his computer had a problem. He acted really dumb and asked how they knew. They couldn't answer that but just said that it had a problem. He then asked if they had hacked his computer to find the problem. Every time they said anything he said he was very concerned about them hacking his computer and what should he do about it. He kept up this really stupid conversation for about ten minutes and then asked to speak to a manager so he could find out why they were hacking his computer. The caller told him to F off and hung up!

3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

TBH it reminds me too much of some phone calls I have made to parents :(

4. Ah, but we had the reverse scenario a few weeks ago, when a 'gentleman' (I use the term loosely) cold called my husband from an overseas call centre.
    Husband gets very fed up with such calls, so when the guy unleashed his opening gambit, his response was politely but firmly to ask 'is this a sales call?'
    The response from the cold caller was:
    'F*** off you f***ing motherf***er'
    Husband, totally taken aback asked 'what did you just say?'
    Only for the obnoxious, foul mouthed wee scrote to repeat the insult and hang up!
    Seriously thinking about going ex-directory. :-(

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,I've had some who got really rude when they figured out that I was not going to play ball.

6. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I can imagine - sorry![​IMG]
    Don't think you've ever spoken with my husband though![​IMG]

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I just scream down the phone, I am so fed uo with solar panel sales people, yup we have them and Telephone preference thingie. I just hang up now with a scream!!

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

We are ex-directory (o/h was a lawyer - didn't want the clients finding him; I used to work close to home - didn't want the ss finding me!), but we still get he odd call!
    Our tactic is to say "yes, I'll just get him/her" and leave the phone on the side until they hang up.

9. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

It's only worth having a landline for broadband and for outgoing calls to call centres which attract premium rates on mobiles, and most of those calls are because the landline and broadband don't bloody work.

10. ljr

ljr New commenter

I had a call from abroad trying to tell me that I had a problem with Windows, so I pretended to be totally ignorant & asked which window it was, could they see into my windows & no I didn't want new windows. I kept this up for quite a while until they gave up first.

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

My uncle, who is 82 and lives alone, always tells anyone who asks for him or the householder that "he is too drunk to come to the phone".

He says it works a treat.

12. We've had the same phone call, but we used a different tactic.
    My husband (a computer programmer) started asking all sorts of searching questions about how they could possibly know we had a problem with our computer. He remained very polite throughout, but got more and more technical with each question.
    He wasn't the first to hang up.

13. The "government scheme" ones tend to be sales calls too. I'm ex directory, registered with TPS and I challenge anyone who does make a marketing call as to where they got my number. I get very few marketing calls now.

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

My dad (85) told a cold caller that he was dead. Tha caller then asked to speak to

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There is a website called 'say no to 0870'
    If you type the premium rate number into it it can usually find you a regular number for the same company which is standard rate or free if you have a free calls package!

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Sorry - computer went a bit wonky there.
    My dad loves the challenge of getting rid of these callers - he sasy they keep his brain active!

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sometimes though it is a bit of a one sided contest!

I had one on Friday. Apparently their database said that I had taken out PPI on a bank loan. I never took out PPIs and so I asked when this was. Their database didn't have that info, so i asked who borrowed the money off, computer said NO, then I asked them how much I had borrowed and again Computer said NO. So I told them that I would never enrust my financial affairs to a company whose comoputer technology was so poor.

18. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Reminds me of a friends daughter who does an ace impression of Little Britain's character of "The computer says no." Whenever they get a cold call she says this to them.
    I now nolonger answer the phone between 5.00 and 5.30 as I get some call or other between these times. If I do pick up I just carry on shouting hello, hello down the phone as if I cant hear them.
    The worst ones were BT as we only have our phone line with them and every week they rang with some internet/phone package. In the end I lost my temper and told them never to contact me again as their deal and my opinion hadnt changed since they rang me 5 days before. She appologised and said I shouldnt have been rung so often and I've never heard from them again.
    Has anyone ever reported a company to the telephone preference service as they are supposed to get £1000 fine? I've never bothered.

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm aware of the fact that they are trying to sign me up for something that I could find out about myself and sign up for directly. What I meant was that it seems to give those callers (in their mind) some kind of authority in their right to call you. I've had a few trying to make me feel stupid because "I did not want to save money" by having my loft insulated or installing solar panels.

20. Obviously not much then, as my step-dad has that and I can't believe how many cold calls he still gets.
    I have never, once, in over 20 years, received a cold call in Germany. It just doesn't happen!