1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you one of the one in 3?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

There's been a new survey showing that one in 3 women loves doing housework. I am astounded. What's to like? What a waste of time it all is. There are so many better things to do.

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

It's a necessary evil. I do it because I don't want to live in a dirty or messy home. I certainly don't love it.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

HATE housework with a passion!

4. Loves doing housework? Are you sure? I don't think "love" was true 50 years ago.

5. Oh I completely agree....I can idle my time away doing so many more interesting and worthwhile things.
    I have a friend who wakes up with a list of things to do...like hoovering, cleaning the windows, sorting out her crockery etc....What sort of mindset puts things like that before wasting time...reading, making vast amounts of tea, doing puzzles, catching up on TV progs, or going out if the sun is shining etc...?
    Sadly I do have a guilt complex...and reluctantly do what has to be done eventually...That means there is a gargantuan amount of work to be done and I am usually rushing around the house like a Whirling Dervish if I am having visitors. (I also quite like cleaning loos and sinks...and THAT is just wierd.)

6. I love it when it is done.
    Unfortunately, that is rare.
    I'd love it even more, if it were done by someone else...

7. Sorry ....housework...? No, doesn't ring a bell!

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I certainly don't 'love' housework. ...But there is a certain satisfaction in getting the most necessary bits done....
    I hate laundry, but love the smell of fresh laundry - and love putting out new towels!...and clothes need to be washed ....so laundry is a necessary evil....I am world-class at finding reasons why ironing does <u>not</u> need to be done!
    I do make lists....I <u>really</u> like lists!....I was the sort of girl who if she had an hour set aside for revision for an exam spent 45 minutes of that hour making a colour coordinated timetable for revision!
    I list all the jobs that need doing. Then cross off any job that can wait until tomorrow. Prioritise the jobs (this means writing them all out again....best if I can use another colour pen). Add in approximate timings for each job. (Looks good if I can pick a different pen colour here too!). Now I can get out my pencil and ruler and draw up a proper timetable! With colour shading and everything!

I currently have the crock from my slow-cooker soaking - I really must move that up to a 'priority' job....and a slight accident at luchtime means a session with the carpet sweeper is going to be necessary....so I think I'd better put the coffeemaker on and get out my pens and rewrite the job-schedule for this afternoon!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Archy, have you ever seen a whirling dervish? I nearly peed myself laughing at the thought of you done up like a dervish and whirling with a feather duster in your hand. I'm afraid I take ages just to make sure the loo, the basin, and the kitchen units are clean and I have certainly never mastered the knack of whirling! The last time I saw a dervish whirling I felt so giddy I had to sit down for a couple of hours for a rest and some mint tea!

10. Me too!!
    Me too!
    I still spend hours and hours doing this sort of thing....love it much more than housework.

11. Housework is like banging you head against the wall. It's only good when you stop.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Are you accustomed to banging your head against a wall, sunblest?

13. I would actually prefer to bang my head against the wall!!

14. I think I have seen minor Dervishes Nutty...or pretend ones. I went to a Whirling Dervish show in Turkey quite a few years ago. It was a touristy version of what it is to whirl.....but very impressive all the same.
    I am just a tad slower....*cough*
    I do have to clean at breakneck speed though when people are due to call round or stay....Couldn't bear to be called a slob.....even though I have more cobwebs than Miss Havisham. [​IMG]

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Give it another 5 years or so! I think cobwebs add a quaint charm to the ambience. I've got some delicately intricate ones on the upstairs landing. I'm encouraging them.

16. I was thinking of spinning mine and making them into a sort of fine filigree blouse....nice for evening wear....Waste not, want not etc.

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I do actually like housework. Unfortunately it is not possible to do any here because of all the clutter and general mess.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Specially in this age of austerity. I bet you could sell a blouse like that for at least &pound;1,497 in Harvey Nicks to some Russian oligarch for his blonde model piece of fluff/crumpet.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I suspect this is a porkie, Nelly.