1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you on holiday yet

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by subman68, Jun 28, 2011.

1. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Ok lets start the season moan.
    I am not on holiday till Friday but lots of my freinds started last week, and they dont go back untill a day after me. How can that be right?

2. I think it depends on which region you are in. I am still at work but then in October when other regions get 1 week, I have 2 weeks off. We all get the same 190 days!

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I think the majority of us are in school till July 1st. I could be wrong (and someone will correct me if I am no doubt!) but isn't it the case that every 6 or 7 years or so each region (only one per year) has a 7 week break? Highland had this 3 years ago and then Fife had it the following year. We all have the same 190 days otherwise as Speedy says.
    Have you something nice planned for your hols Subman? [​IMG]

4. yes thats right Joni....I wish we were getting 7 weeks this year but I think it might be Glasgow?
    Anyway....I am running on air at the mo and can't wait!
    Have a good holiday when it does come - THIS FRIDAY! Woohoo!

[​IMG]

5. jonowen

Thanks lesley - are you doing anything nice? We walked the West Highland Way last year (still proud of myself for completing that!) and this year Mr.Jo found a walk in rural Aberdeenshire (65 miles and 5 days) so we are off at the weekend.
    Don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I'm on my knees just now and have found it nigh on impossible to get out of bed in the last 10 days. I never remember feeling as worn out as this before - maybe it's an old-age thing?
    [​IMG]

6. Same here re feeling worn out. I hope its not an old age thing - they keep moving the retirement age!
    I think the lack of summer weather and the constant chnages have added to this term's workload.

7. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Friday uphere and our 7 weeks next year. Unless Cosla snaches our holiday from us,that is!

8. Feel kinda bad about rubbing this in... nah not really - we've got 8 weeks this year!!
    We don't get a long Feb or Oct holiday tho, and to be honest 8 weeks is too long for me!
    That's Falkirk btw.

9. We're not breaking up in D & G until Friday 8th............ ssems like a long time away. We do have 2 weeks in October but I'd be happy to swap just now - even the reserve tank is nearly empty[​IMG]

10. Three days to go!

11. jonowen

jlisa, you must not go back until the 22nd August? (We are back 15th, but shhhhh!)

12. I'd rather have the 2 weeks in October.

13. I would too, 8 weeks is too long imo, finished on Friday last week and not back until the 22nd.
    I'd rather have longer holidays in October or February, but Falkirk's never done that and I doubt they will.
    Of course another thing is, 8 weeks holiday sucks for people on supply because it means basically zero pay in August, and it's normally bad enough!!

14. hey Joni
    no plans for hols unless my man decides to spirit me away somewhere sunny ( and pay for it!) - I will be moving house tho and they do say a change is as good as a rest! I agree re - getting up etc, everything in my life seems to be 'an age thing' at the mo!
    Happy hols everyone! x

[​IMG]

15. I've been on holiday since the start of April. Swear that golf course gets longer every day - or is it the afternoons in the 19th hole that get longer and longer. Who can say.

Stack of retirement deals appeared to be going this year - everyone should have jumped or you might be working til you're 66!

Enjoy your holidays! Retirement's a ***.