1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you more sensitive to smells or to sounds?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Jun 15, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I can adjust to some pretty strong smells, but some sounds just grate and grate and grate. Mr K occasionally decides to torture me with his whacky free-style jazz, I can not abide. I feel I am going insane and head-achey. Someone let off a stink bomb in school, and although it's a foul smell, I didn't actually feel like too strongly about it. I can over-ride smells, but sounds can hurt to the core.
    You?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm the other way round. An unexpected smell grates on me. It doesn't have to be unpleasant just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I can totally tune out noises. If I am working with music on then I couldn't tell you which songs had been on.

3. The sound of someone throwing up or the smell of the sick!! I think the smell is worse.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You've been watching too many Party Political Broadcasts [​IMG]

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

My hearing is much keener than my sense of smell, which is almost non-existant.
    I can go weeks without a shower and still be OK.
    (That last bit wasn't true)

6. My smell saturation is much more efficient than my noise tolerance. I can't smell my Brut for baubles 3 minutes after splashing it all over but you play Peter Andre for more than 3 minutes and I will kill you.

7. I think it depends on mood. I can block out noise if I'm concentrating on something else but at other times it just hammers through my head.

8. If you mean sensitive as in easily irritated, then sounds.
    But smells can be more evocative for me that sounds, I think.

9. I remember doing a test in the Jnrs when I was little - seeing how far back in the school hall we could go before we couldn't hear a pin drop. Ran out of space!
    Also have acute sense of smell - If I wash a pan (in the dishwasher) thats had egg cooked in it, I can smell it on the glasses when it finishes... hate it!
    Could also smell the other woman on Mr Fig... that didn't go down too well [​IMG]

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Some heavy scents give me a headache and I'm as averse to nasty smells as anyone. Some make me heave.
    Sounds? Lots of them grate but I'm sure they're the sounds that grate on everyone. I leave shops if I don't like the music and I also leave shops if I do. The kind of shop that uses, say, a Bach unaccompanied cello suite as wallpaper tends to get my back up. The snootiness! And it's always played just a bit too quietly so that you have to go as near to the speakers as possible and pretend to browse, when in fact you've lost all interest in the books and are just enjoying the music. .
    I tried listening to music through headphones on the way to work but couldn't cope with the way it influenced my mood.

11. Ooops!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

True. I only have to see a picture of sweet peas and so many lovely childhood memories flood in. I actually smell the flowers as I look at the picture. They remind me of childhood summers and gentle old men like my grandfather who seemed to prize sweet peas above other flowers.
    Pinks, stocks, magnolia and peonies all have their place in my childhood.
    Night-scented flowers such as night-scented stocks, honeysuckle and even linden trees all remind me of youth and being in love. They are all intoxicating.
    Sorry to sound so soppy but that's how it is.[​IMG]

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Not to mention the smell of snow. When I look at a picture of a snowy landscape, my nostrils pinch with the smell of snow.

14. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Very sensitive to smell. Everyone I know says I sneeze an unusual amount. If I walk into a room and it smells different to the one I have just been in I will sneeze at least 3 times.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

I hope you don't do those horrible exuberant male sneezes. Sneezes can smell, you know, though usually only when there's an infection. Mr inky thinks I'm weird but what I say is true. I can always smell an infected sneeze.

16. ergo ...you have probably become infected.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

One of my favourite smells. [​IMG]
    Ciccadas = one of my favourite natural sounds. Never grates.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

What does it bring to mind, kibosh?

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

I love the sound of wood pigeons. They cry summer.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

My son loved the sound of rooks, discordant and quarrelsome though it is. He associated it with a place some Tessers will surely know: Dunster Beach. I first went there in 1963 and carried on until 1997. The rooks never changed.