1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you in favour of unbranded uniforms?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 10, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘An MP has launched a campaign for schools to have unbranded uniforms to help families who are living in poverty.

Emma Hardy said that she had heard from families who were going hungry during school holidays who said that the cost of the uniform was what had tipped them over the edge.

And she warned that no school should discourage a pupil from joining because of the cost of their uniform.’

What do you think? Should more schools introduce unbranded uniforms or should uniforms be scrapped altogether to help families living in poverty?

https://www.tes.com/news/mp-wants-unbranded-school-uniforms-help-poor

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You can argue whether the premium cost of branded uniform is reflected in a longer life. However kids grow and uniform may not fit for long.
    I see nothing wrong with standard white school shirts, trousers etc that can be obtained from any supermarket.
    When my school had an "individual" school uniform, it was disspiriting to see the year 11s coming in wearing tatty blazers with pockets hanging off. I could understand the excuse of money - these blazers cost more than my work jacket and were considerably less stylish (and I'm not exactly at the forefront of fashion).
    The main beneficiary of the uniform seemed to be the governor who owned the school uniform shop.

agathamorse and colpee like this.
  3. crocked

crocked New commenter

Unbranded stuff is fine. The government's approach to lower income families is not. This feels like an issue created to make a smokescreen around a clear problem that is far more nuanced.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why have school uniforms at all? o_O

But if you DO have to have them, as cheap as possible...:)

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Being an independent, we have branded uniform for some items.
    However we also have a thriving second hand uniform shop. Most parents make good use of it and it is always the highest money maker at the PTA summer fete.
    Perhaps state school PTAs could sort something similar.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. It's just amazing that so many countries around the world manage to educate their youths without them wearing a uniform.

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Whatever happened to the sew on school badge, so you just took it off each time you needed to buy new jumper? Well that's what we did when I was at school.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

People can't / won't sew any more.

9. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Imho: There should be uniforms for teachers too. Too many struggle with their long hours and low wages. No school should make a student or teacher feel small.because they cannot afford the latest clothes and brands.

10. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

I remember having a discussion many years ago over changing the ugly branded sweatshirts the kids wore (under blazers and with a shirt and tie) for black sweaters, and expressing the opinion that it was a great idea as parents could go to Asda and get a cheap, serviceable sweater (or two) for considerably less than the sweatshirt. It was like trying to sell diabolism to Billy Graham-"but the colours would vary!" "It wouldn't be a uniform!" It ended up being a badged sweater. I see the school has gone for these hideous kilt things as well. Expensive, pretentious and very silly.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Unbranded uniform

or no uniform

Parents should be able to kit their children out and not worry about the expense.

If uniforms are a good thing and help children not to stand out etc., then make the damn things cheap enough for all.

12. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Completely agree.

13. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Definitely - especially for the infant years. It's a hell of a lot easier as a parent to deal with your kid coming home covered in whiteboard marker (seriously I don't know what the hell is in that stuff but it doesn't come out for love nor money) when it's a supermarket cardigan for £4 than a logo sole-supplier only at the other side of town £15 one!

My own kids' school has an incredibly laid back approach to uniform - just a specified colour for tops/bottoms/polo shirts/logo'em if you want to - and the kids still look smart - not cloned, but smart.

My other pet hate is when the cardigans cost much more than the sweatshirts (and the "norm" these days very much seems to be for girls to wear cardigans), and then our local secondary where the boys get to wear supermarket plain black trousers but the girls have to have the school logo embroidered onto a specific style of skirt at 3 times the cost of some plain black trousers, or primaries with posh tartan pinafores for the girls but the boys get plain grey trousers and the like.

14. Easyasabc

Easyasabc New commenter

Uniforms can be cheaper than getting new clothes all year round for children.The time has come for teachers to have uniforms too though.

It is sad to see female teachers at my child's school all in t-shirts, short trousers and flip flops. The students look much smarter and seem to care more about their general appearance.

15. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

We have a uniform at our primary but sell badges (cheaply) that can be sewn on to jumpers bought from supermarkets. Uniform shouldn’t cost a small fortune but often does and many parents do struggle.