1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you in favour of the times tables check ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 9, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Do you think the times tables check is a good idea, especially when critics fear it could make teachers narrow the curriculum to help their pupils pass the test?

‘Teachers are distorting the curriculum to ensure their pupils perform well in the government’s controversial times tables check, a maths consultant has warned.

The on-screen multiplication check, which will become mandatory next year, sees pupils in year 4 pupils given 25 questions, with a maximum of six seconds to answer each one.

The check was brought in following a Conservative manifesto promise that “we will expect every 11-year-old to know their times tables off by heart”.’

https://www.tes.com/news/times-tables-check-distorting-curriculum

What are your views about the multiplication test?

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Six seconds? So it is not a test designed to check about knowing one’s times tables, it’s a random speed check?

3. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

It's an astonishingly good idea!!

Crikey, how else would teachers find out for themselves which children knew their multiplication/division facts?

Money well spent!!!

4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

I agree!!

My 30 years of doing tables tests on strips of paper from the scrap drawer: a waste of time.

But an on-screen test that tells me what everyone knows is the way forward.

I wish I had thought of that!

[I reserve discussion regarding the recall/ understanding issue until later]

colpee likes this.