1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you in favour of primary LGBT lessons for young children?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 11, 2019.

1. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Well this is unpleasant.

Vince_Ulam and drvs like this.
  2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It’s not about being accepting. It’s not about compassion. These things already exist. It is about
    Being expected to go along with the lie that ‘trans women are women’. They are not. Trans women are trans women and no less or more deserving of respect, understanding and compassion than anyone else. To equate this with racism is ridiculous and insulting.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I had the same thought when I read your post which likened this thread to the pro-racism movement.

Vince_Ulam and vannie like this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

So says the great expert in the field.

5. ridleyrumpus

Hear, hear.

6. ridleyrumpus

In a slight misspelled word, rollocks.

7. ridleyrumpus

Are you sure that the "no outsiders" program of study actually teaching that trans women are women?

Where have you seen this?

Eszett likes this.
  8. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I don't really see a difference, just a minority which needs a bit of compassion and understanding - give it time and people will look back on this era with the same view as they have of when it was legal/socially acceptable to exclude/discriminate against women, gays, ethnic minorities, etc.

And the people confusing sex and gender will be regarded as dinosaurs who struggled to accept compassion as a human value.

LunaBlue123 and ridleyrumpus like this.
  9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Aaaah. The ‘right side of history’ argument. Where have people not shown compassion and understanding? How does being part of a lie show compassion and understanding? How does encouraging autistic children to transition show compassion and understanding?
    FWIW I think future generations will look back at the TWAW argument and think it absolute nonsense.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  10. averagedan

There's nothing wrong with the argument - history has shown time and again that people need time to change and accept others for who they are. Societies take time to grow sadly.

LunaBlue123 and agathamorse like this.
  11. ridleyrumpus

Sometimes I do wonder if some people are actually self aware.

Have you actually read the thread?

LunaBlue123 likes this.
  12. averagedan

I did think that.... It does get really quite nasty in places. Seems like a timewarp to the 1880s...

LunaBlue123 and ridleyrumpus like this.
  13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Yes. Have you?

14. ridleyrumpus

Yes I have and in it there are many posts that I would catagorise as lacking "compassion and understanding."

Worryingly so.

15. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You need only look at Mermaid's own advice to parents:

'Gender dysphoria is a mismatch between the gender assigned to a person at birth and the gender that they actually identify with. Sometimes in younger children, this may surface with boys playing with dolls and other traditionally female toys, or girls who refuse to wear dresses or hate having long hair'
    Mermaids.org.uk.

Let boys and girls play with whatever toys they want to play with and prefer whatever appearance they wish without pushing onto them the adult construction of transgender, harming them emotionally & cognitively and sending them down irreversible pathways of physical intervention.

16. Vince_Ulam

If you could discuss this calmly and rationally then you would not need to refer to ad hominem arguments but for now you have simply adopted a position and decided to stop thinking about it.

You can only be worried that other people do not agree with you. Try paying actual attention to what others have to say and you will see that you can entertain their views without feeling anxious about them.

17. ridleyrumpus

Again some self awareness is needed here.

Accusing myself of "ad hominem arguments" by making an ad hominem argument takes the biscuit.

18. Vince_Ulam

You pulled this discussion into the realm of the personal, not me.

Take the advice. It's good.

19. averagedan

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I have absolutely no agenda what so ever. I am describing reality to you, and real life as I have experienced it.

You are a very sore loser, who simply descends into personal abuse when you cannot answer someones argument.

I will say it again. If you have a contribution to make to the discussion, than make it.

As yet.... nothing

vannie likes this.