1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you in favour of a four-day teaching week?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Sixth-form students have been given one study day a week to reduce ‘trapped time’ but do you agree with the idea?

‘A sixth-form college has overhauled its timetable to give students a four-day teaching week – and the option of studying at home on the fifth day.

Under the new timetable at Ashton Sixth Form College in Greater Manchester, students are only allocated classes for four days per week, along with one "study day".

This could fall on any day of the week, depending on individual students' A-level subject choices. On this day, students can choose whether to work at college or from home.’

Will this add more pressure to teachers because of the reduced timetable?

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-college-brings-four-day-teaching-week

2. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I've tutored a couple of 6th form students recently who do a four day week and have a whole day off. It's great for me as I can do an early lesson. I assumed it was probably because of staff shortages rather than a deliberate policy.

agathamorse and CheeseMongler like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I know of similar colleges, for example one that has two teaching sessions a day; one in the morning (10-12.30) and one in the afternoon (1.30-4pm). Students will get two sessions off a week (so doing a 4 day week effectively). For teaching this has benefits as well although they still work a full week.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

I've often thought that I'd be happy to do an extra bit for 4 days then have a longer weekend.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true...….

If we get an extra day 'off' then that will immediately mean
    1. No PPA in the other 4 days.
    2. Having to accept all these new initiatives, "We have time for these now"
    3. Also time to 'deep mark' in more colours.
    4. If not a pay cut then certainly no pay rises for the foreseeable future (I might need to check that there's any difference)
    5. Training days on free days.
    I must admit that my resistance to this comes from watching Mrs Cazorla think that the solution to serious over-working is to drop to 0.6 and then over-work even more:(

6. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I don't imagine this will have much effect on the teaching staff. The article points out that this is about reducing 'trapped time' (ie - free periods in the middle of the day), not reducing the number of timetabled hours. It just means the students will have more lessons on 4 days in return for a study day 'off'. Since the students will all have different days off, depending on the subjects they have chosen, then staff will still teach on the same days as before - perhaps doing more Year 12 one day and Year 13 on another or whatever.

agathamorse, Stiltskin and strawbs like this.
  7. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

agathamorse likes this.