1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you happy with the processes in place for teacher recruitment?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jjr_2, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jjr_2

jjr_2 New commenter

Hi, I am an assistant head who is completing a piece of work on the effectiveness of the teacher recruitment process. I would be very grateful if any senior leaders within the primary or secondary sector could spare 5 minutes to complete a short questionnaire that will inform my research.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LQWN9NL

Thank you in advance. :)

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Though I'm not part of your target audience (so haven't taken the survey) can I make the suggestion that you accept CVs and a covering letter from applicants. This would greatly increase the pool of applicants and so give you a chance to pitch to these to attract the better ones.

I've often looked at possible jobs for myself and realised that a few hours of my life is going to be lost on filling in an application form. Then I've decided not to bother.
    But when a supply agency rings me a week after the closing date and asks, 'Can we submit your CV to half-decent Secondary that is 2 miles away from you?'. Can you guess what happens then?

BetterNow likes this.
  3. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Can I ask why (When you clearly and reasonably believe the school is going to have difficulty in recruiting so you feel you have a good chance of getting a post) you can't be bothered to fill in an application form? Honestly I too am put off by forms but if I thought there was going to be a good chance I might get a job I really wanted I would jump at the chance. Is it that really you are just not very keen on the post?

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

application forms are there to specifically filter out those applicants who would simply fire off a CV and letter to all and sundry

5. JohnJCazorla

This is more a quibble over balance of probability, if I genuinely believed I had a good chance then I would fill in the form and write off the time lost to experience. More often this knowledge is in hindsight.
    It's a good point but the less desirable schools have now filtered applicants down to zero and the agencies are circling above them.

It's only the schools that are held up as shining examples to us plebs that can afford to put many barriers in the way of applicants to their jobs.

BetterNow likes this.
  6. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

It's true that many schools do not help their own cause.

I once asked to visit a school before making an application (a sensible thing, I thought) - for a few days, I waited for a reply to the email, which then demanded scanned copies of my passport.

Having arrived, I then waited for twenty minutes until someone was free to walk me round the school.

I didn't apply.

7. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Here's a thought:

Why not have a standard application form for the whole country, then you can just amend the details as necessary.

Simples!

Too simple to happen, alas.

BetterNow likes this.
  8. newbie89

newbie89 New commenter

My understanding is that you need a completed application form rather than a CV for safeguarding reasons as there are specific sections for employment history, declarations etc. You can very easily see that a candidate has completed each section whereas it isn't always so clear what someone might choose to include or omit in their CV. Although this isn't specified in KSCiE, it was promoted as good practice on my Safer Recruitment training.
    Even if this wasn't a safeguarding consideration, I would not shortlist a candidate who couldn't be bothered to spend a few hours of their life tailoring their application to the school/role and just sent out a generic CV.

9. JohnJCazorla

But you accept the word of an agency that they are capable of reading my CV when it comes to supply teachers. I find it hard to believe that your HR is a lot worse than these parasites at discovering my missing 3 years (or whatever) that my creative CV writing hides.
    If you can afford to do that then it's obvious you will. I frequent the bottom-end Secondaries who are grateful to have just me turning up to interview. They are forced to sell themselves to me rather than the other way round, but if they'd got 15 generic CVs they might have managed to convince some of the better ones that Barely Adequate Academy was in fact worth a punt. You can't attempt to convince someone who never bothered filling it in the first place.

Northern_Miss and BetterNow like this.