1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you going face to face and is there an increase demand for tutoring?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Aug 25, 2020.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Hi,

I am in 2 minds about the whole situation. The online classes have been successful however I feel new students may not want to sign up for online.

I am doing groups only so need to see whether face-toface or continue with group online. What's your thoughts on this?

2. Telvis

Telvis New commenter

In Scotland the schools have been back for two weeks now, and so far I’ve seen an increase in tuition enquiries (Secondary school maths).

I only do online and one to one in my home, so I’m not sure about group tuition or other subjects. I think parents and pupils want to get started earlier this year, in order to catch up with missed schoolwork and to get a head start in case exams are cancelled again and teachers’ professional judgement is used for predicted grades.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that both parents and pupils are requesting face to face more than online tuition, so the use of hand sanitiser and plenty of cleaning is taking place, and I ensure that I don’t break the rules regarding the number of households I’m mixing with daily. No one’s wearing a mask so far, but some have brought one and this may change in the coming days. I request that pupils bring their own stationery, and I sit as far from the pupil as I reasonably can.

My preference is still online tuition, but there is a definite trend towards face to face.

Dynamic Teacher likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am doing face to face (or, I prefer, side by side) tuition at home with a small number of students. I am not keen on online. But tuition is more of a hobby than a business for me.

4. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Hiya, Just a quick one. You might want to check out the post that was first started on the 23/7/20, called 'GOING BACK TO HOUSES'. A lot of people have replied to your same query and there are some handy links on it regarding going back/face to face tutoring. :)

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I wouldn't change something that's working well @microbiology.
    Where would you host your groups - do you use houses or would you have to book a venue for group classes? If the latter the going to houses thread may not be relevant.
    Do pupils in your group classes go to different schools or the same one and how does this fit with bubble guidelines?
    What would happen if there is a local lockdown in your area?
    At the end of the day, you are running your own business and the decision is up to you. However I wouldn't go back to face-to-face if you are not sure about it. I am staying online for the forseeable future.

6. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I’m doing face to face (side by side). Lots of sanitiser and dettol spray between pupils and each pupil has their own pack of resources. I’m not providing refreshments, parents are paying online and I’m leaving 15 mins between pupils.

My phone is ringing off the hook and I’m almost full for September.

This has been published recently
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ings-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

7. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I will continue teaching online. Even if we get to the other side of Covid, I won't go back to face to face. Just a personal preference. No reason why tutors can't do face to face, as tradesmen are in and out of peoples' houses doing jobs: had electrician install some lights and some tree surgeons do work in garden here (socially distanced etc)
    I prefer working from home. Love driving, but I'm a good driver and seem to attract inconsiderate drivers like magnets. Less hassle, resources work better, more use of interactive resources, flexible schedule. I quite like technology though and had experience of working online for a couple of years as a language and phonics tutor before all this happened.

8. luxmit

luxmit New commenter

The article states that groups should be no more than 15 students. Does this apply to group tuitions at home as well or just centres? Thanks.

9. microbiology

Wouldn't they need to be 1 metre apart? If that's in a living room (medium size) how would you fit say 10 students? I think online it is

10. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

Ive gone back to face to face for local clients, but have been working in their gardens. Somehow timed this week’s lesson in one of the only slots where it didn’t rain!

Kateray1 likes this.
  11. geenius

geenius New commenter

Hi, I wanted to start online tuition too but I have a few questions. Could you please tell me the platform you use e.g. Zoom or something else? Also, do you tutor privately or via some other tuition company? I just want to know what precautions I would need to take if I started tutoring online in terms of writing out a contract or expecting there to be a parent/guardian present during lessons etc.
    Thanks.

12. Happyregardless

I tutor a group through zoom as current platform I use only allows 1:1 and in all cases lessons are recorded - I think they need to be for the tutor's safety/acountability as much as anything else. The platform is not the best, and others may give better examples but as I received a considerable amount of work through them and didnt want the hassle of switching, I continued with them

13. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Wouldn't occur to me to record a session for my own safety.

BG54, gainly and suzette like this.
  14. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

And nor should you without explicit permission of the parents/pupils.

gainly likes this.
  15. nasrif

nasrif New commenter

I think you should continue to do online tutoring because of the safety concerns that are still there. Face-to-face tutoring may last a few weeks before more students get sent home because of positive testings that may occur.

Happyregardless likes this.
  16. Happyregardless

New
    langteacher said:
    Wouldn't occur to me to record a session for my own safety.
    And nor should you without explicit permission of the parents/pupils.

Of course not - but most tutoring platforms will automatically record online lessons for transparency and parents agree to this when they sign up
    and why would you not want a record of lessons taught to protect you as an teacher? I think you're naive at best not to want the same protection advised by unions as you would have in a classroom? If you have nothing to hide?

17. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I didn't say I wouldn't want to.
    I said it wouldn't occur to me.
    That's not the same thing!
    When I teach face to face and I'm teaching primary age, I often have the parents sit in on the lessons. l have absolutely nothing to hide.

18. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I’m doing face to face and have been most of the summer to. I observe all the protocols while with students but I need to earn money.
    I had no demand for online the contacts I had were a waste of my time.

I am nearly full now.

19. microbiology

What is your subject?

20. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

i do primary to adult English maths science and history and abit of business related stuff.