1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you getting weird half days?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Foggyday, Nov 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Foggyday

Foggyday New commenter

So recently I've been offered some weird "half days" that start mid-morning and end an hour before the end of the school day. It feels pretty much like working a full day with an hour shaved off at the beginning and end. The pay is half of a teaching day which doesn't sound right. I suspect I'm getting to do this because the school asks for cover supervisors which I have vehemently refused to do, and this is the agency roundabout way to still get me in the school. I haven't said anything so far because I did get a few full days with that same school and it's near where I live, but I've been a supply teacher on and off for many years and this is the first time I've been asked to work those kind of hours. Half days used to be 8:30 to 12:30 or 12:30 to 15:30. Have you guys been offered those weird half days too?

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I only work in Primary so the half days are fixed. I usually arrive at 8:00am and leave at 12/12:15 depending upon when lunchtime starts. Afternoon sessions start from 1:00pm to 3.05 - 3:20pm.

I get the same rate for either session.

3. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

No, not been offered those times, only ever am or pm. if you’re not happy, I’d refuse to do them.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Some agencies try and get you to do a couple hours, like periods 1 & 2 for instance, or get you in for a whole day but only to do two or three lessons. If you have to travel any distance, it can hardly be worth it.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

In a school that finishes at lunchtime on a Friday....yes.

6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Primary.. Several times I have been offered AM at one school and then the PM at another.
    I did it once and found it to be very stressful. Now I refuse.

7. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

Yes in primary more common in the last few years, I only agree if it's local

8. venny414

venny414 New commenter

I’ve had a few half days, but I accept them only rarely. Simply because, in some schools half day works out at about 12.30/1 - 3.15 (which is great for half a days pay).

Another school I’ve been asked to do half a day in wanted me from 11-3. I said no to that one.

If the school is 5 minutes away I don’t mind so much. But I think it’s becoming increasingly common as the purse strings tighten.

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

That has not happened to me yet. Many of the Primary schools that I work in have different lunchtimes so I would not agree to do this.

10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I never do half days - I don't think they justify the petrol cost and wear and tear on the car.

11. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Half day mornings are good. Not the afternoons though. I'm not in the mood for it by then.