1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you fully booked yet?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have had the same with TH. We agree on a lesson time but, of course, the site will not allow the exchange of information like addresses or telephone numbers until the parent has bought your details. Often you hear nothing more, or the parent claims the site will not allow them to do so.

I wonder if something is wrong with the TH website. Since September, I get one or two notifications of potential students in my area per week, or a message telling me that someone has 'viewed my profile', to which i always reply, only to hear nothing more. I had one courteous reply from one of these, telling me that they had been looking for a tutor at the beginning of the last academic year, when their son was in Year 11. This made me look at some of the other recent notifications I had had, and some of these parents had not visited the TH website for months, or even longer!

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The "Suggested Students" on the TH website no longer seems to be updated, the most recent one for me is October 2018. I never used that anyway, I only reply when someone actually contacts me.

In the past I've had similar experiences with people agreeing a lesson but then not buying my details. Since reactivating my account a couple of weeks ago I've had a remarkable response. Nine enquiries of which seven were serious and resulted in five bookings, which is more than I really wanted. I've probably just been lucky. I've now changed back to inactive as I don't want any more.

3. Jolly_Roger15

Whereabouts in the country are you, @gainly?

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

South east London

5. Jolly_Roger15

In north-west London, 180 degrees from you, tutoring seems pretty dead.

6. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Where are you based? I am thinking of doing tutoring next year and my subject is physics.
    I am in Eastbourne and only moved here last year, so don't know what the demand will be like.
    No time to tutor this year, but might try to see if there is any demand for Christmas holiday tuition. That might give me an idea of local demand.

How did you get started, using agencies or advertising on social media?

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I started nearly 20 years ago when few people used the internet, I initially got some students through an agency and some by advertising in the local paper. You need advice from someone who has started more recently about what is most effective today.

Very few students want lessons in the Christmas holidays and most want a tutor who will carry on for the rest of the year or longer, so I don't think there is much point advertising holiday tuition.

missbrody likes this.
  8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Actually you could just browse some of the posts on this forum for ideas on how to get started.

9. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Maybe you could start by just tutoring one child this year? On a Saturday or Sunday? Agencies, family friends or a site like TH is the best place to start.

missbrody likes this.
  10. dafm88

dafm88 New commenter

I have just quit teaching after 14 years (I think that tutoring may prove to be a more efficient way of making a living!) and have started tutoring in September. I figured with 8 hours a week at £100ph I could replace my teaching income from last year. I am currently at 5 hrs a week averaging £60ph. I'm doing group tutoring so I have 8 tutees in those 5 hours. I'm hoping to pick it up to the full 8 hours. I'm only doing evenings at the mo so free weekends!

11. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

The problem is that I already work Saturdays, so I don't have free time to try tutoring during term time.
    I will advertise for the Christmas holidays, hoping to pick up some pupils preparing for January mock exams

12. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Thanks, but it might be worth testing the local market to see what the response is like. If they contact me to ask for longer tutoring commitment then I will know that there is a local demand.

13. Joseph.John

Joseph.John New commenter

Advertising for the holidays might not work because students will want to book with their regular Tutor. For example my year 11 students are booking extra lessons with me over Christmas specifically for revision before their Mocks. Sorry to just jump in btw.

14. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Thanks, no need to apologise. I am not expecting to be overwhelmed with demand, but if I get no replies at all it will suggest that there would be no point in me considering tutoring as a source of income for next year.

15. Oldfand

Oldfand New commenter

It takes time to build pupil numbers but I've found the demand is there. I've been tutoring for 18 months in the North West of England and currently have 35 hours booked per week. I don't have a cancellation policy, only charge for lessons taught, but not feel it's necessary with the number of pupils I have as I value the relationship and know it pays off.

16. Joseph.John

Joseph.John New commenter

Ok, but you could damage your reputation if students want to book with you and find that you are already working and so can't commit. I think the best thing to do is save money and then leave work so you have time to Tutor. When I first started I only had one student for weeks but I stuck with it until the next student came along, then another until I had full capacity. It can be scary at the beginning because you think nobody will book with you but eventually you become popular.

17. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I would agree with the above comments. If you advertise tuition only for Christmas holidays you may well get no response but that doesn't mean there is no demand. If you don't make this clear you could give yourself a bad reputation if you then pull out after a couple of weeks. What you need to do is to build a good reputation for being reliable and a good tutor so you will get personal recommendations.

Incidentally it may be different in Eastbourne, but round here the great majority of schools have mock exams in December. I only know of one school which has mocks in January.

18. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

How do you manage 30? is that 1-1 or group?

19. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Yes I am fully booked. I have to turn down pupils I also work as a teacher so it is a bit of a nightmare workwise.

20. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I agree. 30 plus is massive. I feel tired if I have 4 lessons in one day. On Saturdays I have 5 hours which really is the max for me in one day.