1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you fixed term or permanent?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by scorpio12, Nov 22, 2016.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hello,

I just wondered if most of you part-time teachers were on a fixed term or permanent contract? The majority of the part time teachers at my large primary school are on fixed term contracts and there is quite a lot of uncertainty for us. Just wondered if that was typical? Thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Sorry you've had no response.

I'm secondary, and I've had three part-time contracts - the first was permanent; the others were Jan-Aug fixed-term. Both of those were to help cover a mid-year departure. The first school asked me whether I'd be interested in staying on, but I wasn't for personal reasons. The second school could cover everything with the full-timers the next year.

As I understand it, fixed-term contracts shouldn't really be used unless there is a particular reason, eg covering maternity/secondment, increase in pupil numbers which may not be permanent. If you've been there at least four years, you are entitled to become permanent unless there's a good reason why the contracts were all fixed term (eg successive maternity covers).

As far as security of employment goes, non-renewal of a fixed-term contract is a dismissal, and if the employee has two or more years of service, there must be a fair reason. If that reason is redundancy, you're entitled to redundancy pay.

I think they're also not supposed to discriminate against those on fixed-term contracts when selecting for redundancy - a blanket policy of letting all the fixed-term people go ahead of the permanent employees is, I think, not allowed.

So, if I'm right about that, there's not a huge amount for you to worry about, although it would be interesting to know the school's reasons for using the fixed-term contracts, and whether they are aware that it does not necessarily make it easy for them to get rid of you.

GLsghost likes this.
  3. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Thank you. That is very helpful. I don't think the part time teachers at my school should be fixed as we are not doing maternity cover/or a 'fixed term' of cover -we continue to work part time each year. I will have a speak to my Head and see if I can gleam any more info. Thanks again.

4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

what about a fixed two year contract on part time?

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I would not be happy if a permanent, full-time teacher was offered a part-time contract but only on a fixed-term basis. That would raise questions about less-favourable treatment and potential claims of discrimination.

Bear in mind that continuous employment rights will have accrued from a full-time contract into a part-time one, if the employer has remained the same and there has been no break in employment.