1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you doing other jobs to make up for lack of supply work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by SexyMouse, Nov 20, 2011.

1. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

Hi everyone,

As supply work has become so thin on the ground, I've recently taken on another job as an exam invigilator. Although the actual exams can be a bit boring, the people are nice, and it's making up for some of the days when I've not had supply work. The pay isn't too bad either.

I've also just applied to a department store to work on Saturdays (waiting to hear if I've got an interview), as they have good employee benefits as well as providing a regular income source.

Anyone else do other jobs, or applying for other jobs too?

sexymouse

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was considering pole dancing as the money's quite good, but there's not much demand for middle-aged male pole dancers.

3. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Temping at Network Rail till Jan.

4. Thin on the ground? I could SEE the ground through the work I've had: a total of 9.5 days so far this term. And one of those was as a 1:1 TA in a special school at half price. Now looking seriously into going self-employed as a tutor, photographer, writer and (further down the line) proofreader. I'll probably have to get a regular part time job too. I am now at the point where I'm quite prepared to say "bye bye classroom teaching."!

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I recently emailed a major hospital magazine about a howler in their new edition and they have asked if I want to be involved in proof-reading future editions. I will pursue it but don't yet know if it will be paid or voluntary work. I'll still do it if it's voluntary as the hospital have been wonderful in treating my mother-in-law for the past 6 years.

6. I have been trying to get some other sort of job but there seems to be nothing around here (NW London). As i am currently 'siging on', I have to go through the motions of filling up my fortnightly 'job applications record', which I have always filled up; just never yet had a reply. The advisor, whom I see every fortnight, is quite realistic and acknowledges that older [professions 'dropping down' stand very little chance of being considered by employers. Sor of, 'hint of grey, no way!.

7. Hi Emmadrg
    As you say it takes AGES to prepare the stuff for Ebay. I set up a photo "studio", ie, the kitchen table pushed up against the wall and the wall and table draped with a light blue sheet, to photo my "items". It took a whole afternoon taking the pictures - 2 or 3 views of c30 items. Now I've JUST (??) got to write the blurb to go with each one and list them on ebay. i hope that they sell or I will have wasted a lot of time AND money.
    I have, halleujah, got a day's supply tomorrow so that will bring in some welcome funds.That will take my total up to 5 days supply for November. Not much but a BIG improvement on September's 3 days and October's 0 days.
    Ho hum, we soldier on.
    Best wishes
    Billji

8. I wish it wasn't all true Mrs Pip but reality dictates. Heyho tears of joy and laughter, all my kids go home happy!=3D
    Monday I retubed six sunbeds, something I've never done before and I doubt I'll ever apply the skill of balancing two meter flouresent tubes between my feet whist attempting to slot and twist the pins in with my fingers all on my back again. Made a few extra bob with the tokens I was given after the job as I'm not in need of a 'tan'.
    Where are all the poorly teachers?

9. crusell

crusell New commenter

for info on examining check this http://www.alternativejobstoteaching.blogspot.com