1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you doing APP properly?

Discussion in 'Science' started by mousey80, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

Are you? And if so, how do you define properly. No training on this at my school, but I know enough to know that what we are doing is utter *****. Help!

2. mousey80

Are you? And if so, how do you define properly. No training on this at my school, but I know enough to know that what we are doing is utter *****. Help!

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We are not doing it! It isn't compulsory and it is too fiddly and it tells you nothing and it only assesses skills. So pretty useless all round really!

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I started worrying we weren't doing it properly and am now starting to stop worrying for the reasons blazer said.

5. mousey80

Ha! So how do you get your staff to show the students how to improve and use afl? I am fairly sure that my staff don't know what the levels are.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You mark their books/work give them regular assessments or tasks on what we are doing and level them. Communicate their level too them but don't go overboard on it. No sweat really.

7. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

APP isn't statutory. There is no right or wrong way of doing it because you use it how you see fit.

As long as you are using it consistently within a department in a meaningful way and are doing something with the data you collect rather than it being a paper chase.

Don't forget as well that you will be required to report on all 4 strands at the end of each KS and ask yourself if your system is giving you the information you need to do this securely.