1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you closer to friends or family?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I'd have to say family.

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Family for me too..
    I'm an only child too Chelsea and I think it may make a difference.

I don't make friends easily, but can rely on the few I have made and of course I've met some super people on these boards, but for me family 'accepts one 'warts and all. Knowing one's failing and shortcomings and still there for one in emergencies.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Yes, it amazes me when people say they must have at least 2 children so that Firstborn always has someone. It's not uncommon for people to live miles apart-my niece last saw the nephew at a funeral (6 years since they met as a wedding), and they have a small age-gap.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I'd say family. I have three really close friends one of whom I almost consider a sister. Family would always come first though.

5. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

If you’d asked me that question three years ago I’d probably have said friends. When my husband was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, the first person I turned to was my mum. I think that speaks volumes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Its friends who have always been there for me.
    I don't know what family support is as I have experienced the opposite.
    I choose my friends very carefully. I have given them all my love and respect. They have been wonderful although because life changes we have left each other behind and made new ones.
    I am lucky to live near my grandchildren and see them lots (without the parents) and I give them undivided attention which is perfect.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Family. All the friends I had five years ago I've lost for various reasons.

Aquamarina1234 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Family for me - I'm close to my parents and to my wife and daughter too.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

not us x

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I was close to my father but not so much to my mother, or my brother. Indeed, since my mother's death i have not heard from my brother, thankfully!

I get on well with my wife's family, and we see each other often. I am still in contact with a few ex-colleagues, although we no longer have the connection of work, I do not see any of them very often.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm an orphan of many years.