1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you back to work yet?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by thejudgesscoresarein, Aug 19, 2019.

1. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Hi all,

As we approach the final weeks of the summer holidays, how many HTs have returned to work or have you worked throughout the summer?

I was off for the first three weeks as I was abroad in the Canary Islands (I own a villa in Tenerife) and returned last week. Since then, I’ve been into school 2-3 times preparing for September, and plan to do so this week, meeting with the CoG and Governing Body along with a SLT meeting with my newly promoted Deputy Headteacher and Assistant Headteachers.

School re-opens for pupils on the 3rd September!

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I'd say that if you've had 3 uninterrupted weeks off, you've done pretty well. Between being on site for building work, catching up and planning/organising, I finished working this Friday and am back in next Tuesday ready for an official start back next Thursday.

I hope you had a lovely holiday.

3. thejudgesscoresarein

Great holiday thank you- I hope you enjoy your few days off!

I kept in touch with my DHT who was working in school along with my full time Site Manager as there is building work being completed during the summer.

4. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

So you went to your villa in the Canary Islands for three weeks and your newly promoted DHT spent three weeks supervising building work in school.

Mmm.

5. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Why shouldn't the HT have some time to enjoy their own family? Let's face it most HTs won't see daylight for another year. I spent a few years as Deputy and was prepared to prove myself by supporting my school by checking on building works during holidays. this was my personal choice and not directed by my HT.
    3 Weeks in the Canary Islands sounds just the sort of medicine needed to wash away the year's stress, good for you I say!

If HTs start feeling guilty for taking a break we are all doomed. There's a reason HTs have short retirements - it's because they don't make old bones and why the recruitment of Leadership within education is becoming a smaller pool.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

No- the site manager who has been in his role since 2004 was overseeing the building work- my newly promoted Deputy Head (who was an Assistant Head) and has worked at the school since 2013 has been in to prepare for the new year.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So as not to depress heads reading this thread, that old myth has come up on here many times, about heads and teachers generally, and it's not true that heads and teachers die sooner than other occupations after retirement.

8. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Well done on getting three weeks away.
    I had a week near the beginning - which was hopeless as just could not switch off... and then a few days away last week which was better. Other than that, I have been working every day. Don't get me wrong, I haven't set an alarm or always been in school doing this - but I have been working. And I'm now getting every so slightly stressed that I have still so much to do!!