1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you an examiner? Your views wanted

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by edexamchat, Jan 19, 2016.

1. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Agree with this. Started marking again last year, thought that I wouldn't like doing it onscreen, but it does remove all of the admin. nice being able to do extra marking at the end. only issue is some can't be marked because answer isn't confined to the space scanned. Schools need to teach students to do this.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This is my big gripe with the software. Answers that extend beyond the scanned space get referred to senior markers to deal with, all done electronically, no problem. Except for the very clunky software for the out-of-scan marking. That I dislike intensely! If the software were to be fixed, it would be a different matter. And yes it would be nice for schools not only to train candidates to write in the space - it would be nice if the candidates learned from the training!

wanet likes this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

In some cases when students didn't follow the guidlines I have known marks to be removed. perhaps a need for that. i have noticed now that in some cases there is a space for the answer and an overflow space that can also be used. May solve it.

4. edexamchat

edexamchat New commenter

So the exams have already started and there are still adverts looking for examiners to mark this summer's papers - but why?

Each year I see adverts this late in the season looking for examiners in particular for geography, history, RE and economics - not sure why these subjects should consistently fall short on recruitment targets.

Any thoughts?

5. ChelseaAbana

ChelseaAbana New commenter

Hello, hope you don't mind me asking this enquiry about examiners marking student's papers- this is mainly for A level. When examiners are marking a student's paper and a student gives an example with their that isn't listed on the mark scheme- is it automatically graded as incorrect or do examiners ask about the answers they are not sure about as to whether the answer would count or not?

I'm a student who does A level law. In my AS law exam, I wrote an answer with a case that isn't on any of AQA's past paper mark schemes for the same question asked in previous years. After looking at past paper's mark schemes- it only listed two cases and mine wasn't one of them. However I know it's valid since I had gotten the answer from Parliament's gov-Hansard site which explains the conversations held by ministers from both houses of Parliament. I did spell the name of the case wrong though but if an examiner typed what I had written on the search engine on Google, it would show up and an examiner could see it isn't me making up any answers.

My fear is that when an examiner is marking my work, he/she would automatically think it's incorrect because it isn't listed on the mark scheme as a possible case without checking it's validity. Knowing this would be extremely helpful.

6. edexamchat

edexamchat New commenter

A good question Chelsea - and one that teachers ask too.

The answer is as long as the exam question asked for an example to show a point of law, and didn't require you to answer with a specific case law, then your answer will be considered and marked accordingly.

On an exam question where there are many possible combinations of correct answers then the mark scheme usually only shows the most common answers expected - otherwise they'd run out of space! or sometimes to be frank the person writing the mark scheme didn't think of your answer at the time. So when an examiner reads an unexpected answer they use their professional judgement to see whether it is right or wrong - if they don't know they ask their boss, the Chief Examiner.

I hope that reassures you some what.

wanet likes this.
  7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

We are not automatons, as professional we will always look at alternative answers and we are in constant contact with our team leaders. If we are not sure it goes to review with a reason why an alternative answer can be considered.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Mark schemes for public exams must allow for valid but unexpected answers.

9. isitjustme

isitjustme New commenter

I really enjoy it. I think the pay is fair, the process is robust and it definitely helps when the school knows that you are an examiner as they tend to believe you more when you can see that the grade boundaries were harsh or not compared to the previous year etc.
    I like getting feedback and given a grade as to what calibur I am as an examiner and I like the fact that new opportunities often arise through contact with exam boards.

10. Twinkle_toes

Twinkle_toes New commenter

I have worked as an examiner, standards verifier and moderator over the past 9 years.
    This is the first year i am not carrying out any additional tasks. I would love to return to marking but the demands of a family, moving house and developing my career make it almost impossible.
    I would like to make a return next year - provided time allows it.

11. markuss

Marking on screen is as quick as on paper when there is little or no annotation and the responses are short.

The longer the responses and the more the annotation, the more laborious the on screen marking becomes.

Then, if there are lots of blank pages, responses given out of order, "Additional Objects", "exceptions", "atypical" and so on, then the bodies really should pay a good deal more per script to reflect how much more of a labour the marking is.

wanet likes this.
  12. manc

manc New commenter

I just can't and won't do it onscreen. Rubbish. Hurts my eyes and back and hands. Don't like it. Want to look at whole scripts, not bits of them. What if I want to mark somewhere where there isn't a computer? Why cant I? Why no more standardisation meetings? Bad idea. Exam boards know price of everything, value of nothing. I want to deal with human beings and physical paper. Change the format - watch the examiners come back.

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

having marked on screen,I wouldn't want to go back to having to deal with scripts. far too much admin.

14. markuss

The ones that suit me best are mark on paper and admin online systems.

15. manc

manc New commenter

sounds eminently reasonable, markuss. Wanet, I can't believe you'd prefer to actually mark with a screen in real life, but yes, the paper admin was a pain, but it was worth it. I got my wife to do all that. It cements a marriage.

16. newphys14

newphys14 New commenter

In the subject of examnarking I wondered if anyone can offer any advice on the following. I have marked with AQA for the first time this year. Prior to marking they sent an estimate of the fee based on the number of scripts and your personal quota. Then on the last day of marking they sent this email:

Dear all,

As you are all aware, today is the Last Date for Marks and the cap will be removed tomorrow.

I am writing to inform you all that unfortunately we made an error when calculating the estimate for the fee.

Unfortunately when working this out we failed to take into account the number of general marked questions that are not marked by normal examiners.

I believe we estimated the standard quota at £1215 when the actual estimate is £811.
    The previously estimated reduced quota was £911 whilst the actual estimate is £607.

I sincerely apologise for this error when working out your estimates as I understand many of you have marked with these figures in mind. It is most unfortunate that we have only become aware of this now, as some of you begin to receive your payments and wonder as to why they are a lot less than the estimate you were quoted.

We feel it is best to let you know now before the cap is removed so that you can take this into account when taking up extra marking.

Please understand that you are still being paid the figure you were always meant to be paid for the marking you have done. If you are to use the equation we included in the live marking email that quotes the fee estimate, you will see that you still earn what was expected for each particular question. The issue is that we did not take into account that the vast majority of you do not mark the general mark questions which were incorrectly included in the fees estimate.

Once again, I apologise for this misinformation and hope it does not discourage you from marking once the cap is lifted.

Thank you all for your hard work.

I feel quite cheated, my circumstances had changed between applying to mark and the actual marking and to be honest had I have had a correct estimate I would not have given myself the extra pressure.

Is there anything I can do it do I need to just accept this?

Thanks in advance,
    Becky

17. manc

manc New commenter

I would say not. Fee doesn't look very generous in any case. Next year vote with youyr feet - enjoy your holiday.

18. Jigsaw33

Jigsaw33 New commenter

I get on well with the online marking. As a previous poster said, rules out all the fiddly admin stuff. I like the bonus pay before the holidays, the feedback from my team leader and the insight it gives me to exam technique with my students.

19. fluffyowl

fluffyowl New commenter

Hmm. I used to work for Edexcel, and stopped as I got tired of increased demands and lower pay. I was thinking of marking for AQA to help advise my students on exam technique, but now I've found out about the false estimates, terrible pay and lack of standardisation fee...no thanks.

FYI people out there who love the extra money:

I earn £25-30 per hour tutoring. I worked out my hourly rate script marking was £12-15.

20. physion

physion New commenter

Hi all! Could someone be examiner in more than one eaminations boards? Is it possible due to timetables and time restriction? Would a reference from another exams board Head of Examiners be ok? Thank you.