1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you an academic failure?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafkam, Feb 8, 2011.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Inspired by a tweet by @philallman1, I wonder how many of us have the required GCSEs (or equivalents) to achieve the golden English Baccalaureate. Do you have GCSEs in:

*English - must be language not literature

*Mathematics

*A Science

*History or Geography (note not RE)

*A modern or ancient European language

I would fail because my school offered a combined humanities GCSE. Apparently this makes me less academic than a friend who scraped a C in Geography the following year despite every one of my GCSE grades being higher than hers and my going on to complete A-levels and a degree. It's a wonder I achieved anything with my poor qualifications!

Would you get the Ebaccalaureate?

2. I have all of the above and more, but it still pisses me off that I failed my Alevel Geography!!

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We were debating this today. We worked out that about half the staff wouldn't have gone to uni. Given that one has a phd, one is applying for one, 2 are currently taking their masters and 3 of us already have our masters, I think it's a bit of a farce!

4. Yes, and more.
    Or have I misunderstood something?

5. I did O levels, not GSCEs.
    Don't know if that makes a great difference, but we had compulsory subjects in each faculty.
    I had:
    English Lit
    English Lang.
    Maths
    Biology
    Physics
    History
    French
    German
    Latin
    And two other things I have forgotten...hmmm.

6. Why wouldn't they?

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

yep but I wish I had chosen art instead of german

8. I don't have GCSEs in the required subjects. I only have O Levels in them!
    Mind, I didn't complete my A Levels.
    And I am just applying for a PhD!
    So yes, no, maybe, I don't know!

9. huh?
    Why not?
    I had to have an A and two Bs, and that was standard for a red brick uni. I had the entry grades for Cambridge but turned them down, as I didn't like the set up.
    (I still do not regret having not gone to Cambridge).

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Yep, have all that and more and still can't get a job lol

11. I questioned the assumption that about half the staff wouldn't have gone to uni because I wasn't sure of the criteria they'd used. No university is asking for the EBacc as an entry requirement so until that becomes so it's all speculation.

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

ditto [​IMG]

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Perhaps didn't make it clear that I meant if the EBac been the criteria for uni entrance, we worked out that half the staff wouldn't get in. A bit odd when you consider many of the staff went to good unis in the days when only 5% of the population were expected to.

14. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Well yes, but presumably their prior choices would have been dictated by those entry requirements? So if EBac had been a requirement, then you'd've directed your choice of subjects to address that.

15. I think we had to take that kind of spread of subject (and I think Gove takes his policy from his own schools days) - English, Maths and a language were compulsory and then the columns were arranged so that you would have a spread of the rest.

16. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I too would have pased, as I have all the necessary O' Levels ( plus four A ' Levels )
    The OP makes me wonder just what people have been studying for the last 20 years........weird combinations or just pointless, meaningless ' subjects ' ????

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

All of them except history/geography. I failed history [​IMG]

I have four languages at "0" level though, including Latin.

18. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I have them, A-B grades in all except my C in German. I think most of my generation will have though, English, Maths and Science compulsory, as was a language in my school and I think we had to do Geography or History (could be wrong on that one though) because I did RE as well as History.
    Not sure it means much though really, I still got **** A levels and not a great degree, but then got Masters credits in my PGCE so I don't think they mean anything in terms of how well you'll do afterwards.
    My younger sister doesn't have them all I don't think, did a BTEC National diploma not A levels and is now looking like she'll get a first in her Law degree, so you never can tell!

19. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Surely everyone around my age (33), and in fact older, since the start of GCSEs, must have these subjects? For a teacher, i imagine most generally have A Levels, and most colleges/schools expect grades above C as entry requirements. I stayed on to 6th form at my school and their entry requirement for A Levels was 7 A or B grades at GCSE. This was just a state school.

20. I did O levels (am 41) and I don't have a science O Level. Not that I failed science - I just never studied one!