1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you addicted to your Mobile Phone?.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Jan 25, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

So...

Do you sleep with it? Use it in the bath/ on the loo? Can you cope without it for at least 30 minutes?

How many hours a day do we use our mobile phones? I am just about managing 2 hrs a day - but it's tough! :eek:

Jamvic likes this.
  2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

No, not at all. I don’t take it upstairs at all and often forget it when I go out.

My iPad though. That’s another thing entirely.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Funny you ask that, because last night I took my phone to bed with me for the first time ever, and put it under my pillow when I finally rolled over to sleep. But when I woke up it was gone and I found a pound coin in it's place!
    F***ing bluetooth fairy.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

:D:D:D:D:D

nomad, Jamvic and install like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

He he.

I dropped mine last night in the bedroom. And scarily the Alexa device also in the room said 'Can I help?'

I answered back 'Sshhhh'

Jamvic likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Yes (next to me on the bedside table, I use the alarm function... No clock, and Calendar), no (that's unhygienic) yes... Too many hours... Emails, coms, alarms, alerts, smart home...

Jamvic and install like this.
  7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No. Anyone who wants to contact me knows to use the landline number because my mobile is normally switched off.
    Or they can email me, or write me a letter.

8. install

install Star commenter

I think I need normality again or maybe I am being too romantic about the days of pre-mobile phones. A normal phone with a voice at the end where I can say: 'Why are you ringing me at this time of night?'

These mobiles are everywhere. I think I have ten old ones in drawers too!

caress and Jamvic like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Aaaah, yes! letters!
    I remember them.

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I've only had a mobile (smartphone)for the past year. I switch it off overnight. I use a landline for making calls. A smartphone is useful (bus and train times, etc) but I can take it or leave it.

border_walker, Jamvic and install like this.
  11. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I rarely know where mine is so find my phone is the most used app on my iPad.

needabreak, Jamvic and install like this.
  12. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I find if I'm doing nothing much, I can waste hours fiddling around with it. Then I worry that I am addicted but...

If I'm busy, I forget I have one and messages notifications etc have piled up to ridiculous proportions.

13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes when I'm out.. I travel a lot on public transport and that and my kindle are my company. But no I don't have it at the dining table, bedside, bath or loo.

14. install

install Star commenter

I recall a lesson whereby I tried to explain how 'in the olden days' people used to send hand written letters to each other. The class were all staggered that such precious time was wasted on long distance writing for communication.

They saw hand writing as something only done in class and exams.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I always swore I would never have it by my bedside, but then my dog ate my alarm clock (more or less) and I live somewhere where it isn't easy to get stuff...so ended up using it.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Stop thinking of it as merely a phone (in the old sense of the word) and think of it as a multi-tool. Then compare your use of it to what you would have had next to you or utilised throughout a day in the past. It’s not just a phone.

Basically we use them a lot because they’ve replaced the need to use many other things.

So in answer to your questions...

Sleep with it there: Yes.

It’s on the bed table while I sleep sometimes playing an audiobook. But in the past an alarm clock/radio/iPod/book would have been there instead.

Use it in the bathroom: Sometimes.

It’s on the cupboard in the bathroom if I’m listening to an audiobook or music while relaxing in the tub. But in the past a radio or book would have been in there instead.

On the loo: No.

:confused: Ugh!

Cope without it for 30 minutes: Yes.

Anything not essential for keeping your body running (like breathing) that you can’t cope without for 30 minutes is a problem that needs urgently addressing.

How many hours a day of use? Loads.

No more however than if you added up the total hours I would have used or needed the things below over the period of a day in the past. My smartphone can mostly provide me with access to all these items/services whenever I need it to.

Phone
    Map
    Translator
    Radio
    Stopwatch
    Crossword puzzles/sudoku & games
    Step counter/health monitor
    iPod/cd player
    Watch
    Torch
    Books
    Alarm
    Diary
    Calendar
    Calculator
    Laptop including emailing
    Tablet
    Birthday/event Reminders
    Notepad
    Shopping lists
    Newspapers
    Dictaphone
    Camera
    Camcorder
    Tv / news / weather reports /
    Shopping trip/window shopping
    Video calling
    Banking
    Accounting
    Catalogue browsing
    Paying bills
    Library access via app
    Travel agents/ holiday searching & booking
    Estate agents. House hunting/browsing

I’m sure there’s stuff I’m forgetting here.

Anyway the minute they invent one that can load the dishwasher and make me a cup of tea my OH is getting made redundant :D.

towncryer, needabreak, bajan and 3 others like this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My mobile is recharged at night in my bedroom. I use it only for calls, texts and the clock alarm. I often forget to take it downstairs in the day. Generally I check it half a dozen times per day to see if there are any texts or missed calls.

I have never downloaded an app. Can't see what use I'd have for ine, whatever they are. I hate the small screen and needing reading glasses to see text. Laptop or tablet are all I need for online usage.

towncryer, install and Jamvic like this.
  18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Mine too! I only ever use it to communicate with Mrs Shedman. If she has to go to a hospital appointment, the parking is so awful and expensive I usually drop her off and go to a nearby supermarket for a drink and a read of the paper. She texts me to pick her up when she's done. Similarly, if we go into town and go our different ways we sometimes text as to where to meet up and that's about it.

I never give my mobile number to anyone else, I just say I don't have one. If people want to contact me they use the land line. I managed perfectly well before mobile phones came along and will do so in the future.

One the topic of mobile phones, I wanted to top up with Virgin mobile with a credit card I had registered. I just use PAYG. Because it had been about 4 years since I last topped up on that card they had blacklisted me! I tried to register another card but no, there was no way I could top up using a card and had to wait to be contacted by their so-called customer service department. The reason I had been blacklisted was because I didn't spend enough on their services. After a few strong but courteous words to someone in an Indian call centre I eventually got a card registered with them but to be frank I don't think I'll bother topping up by card again. I can get an airtime voucher from the local shop when I go in for a paper and it avoids all that hassle.

While we're still on mobile phones, it really annoys me when people have them glued to their ear when they're being served at a counter or till - extremely bad manners. Then there are the mobile phone shouters followed by the parents who gaze transfixed at their phones while their kids run riot in cafes and restuarants and then you're in the park, beach or street and people walk along like zombies flicking their screens. There's no doubt that mobile phones are great devices it's just that some people have let them dominate their lives.

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Totally agree with all of this. Especially parents ignoring young children trying to talk to them in favour of chatting on or looking at their phones. I have to bite my lip to avoid saying something acerbic when I see this happening.

Shedman, install and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  20. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Only switch mine on when I leave the house and it's not a smart phone.