1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you a Year 2 teacher? Can you point me in the right direction? Please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eythlm, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I'm moving up to Year 2 from Early Years. Looking forward to the challenge. Enjoying the break but am starting to think lots of my resources, and rewards and routines are a bit too "early years" and have got to adjust to teaching older children and having different expectations.
    What are the essentials you have in your classroom?
    Have you got any tips that work well with this age group?
    Are there any websites that children use a lot in your class?
    Thanks for anything you can recommend :)

2. Lisa_R

Lisa_R New commenter

I made the same move last year and I didn't really know where to start as I had taught in a Reception foundation stage unit since I was an NQT. I must say that it was a steep learning curve but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest difference was the expectation and requirements in Maths. It's requires a lot to be taught in a short amount of time.
    I tried to incorporate some of the EYFS teaching strategies into my classroom- for example when I did topic or Art/ D&T I had one focus group and then free flow activities linked to the topic/art and this worked well. The children worked very well choosing independent activities and feeding back what they found out.
    The main things I have in my classroom which have been useful and I will use again this year are:
    • Display of phonic sounds from Letters and sounds phase 5.
    • Display of weekly maths vocabulary and strategies.
    • Items labelled such as scissors, glue, felts, so that the children can get their own things when they are required for the activity and they put everything away.
    • 100 grids for maths are very useful.
    Useful websites for maths games:
    http://www.wmnet.org.uk/wmnet/14.cfm?s=14&m=80&p=78,index&zs=n
    www.educationcity.com (school much subscribe)
    Also the Numeracy Strategy ITP ‘s can be good.
    Hope this is useful!
    Good luck!

3. Google assessment guidelines for upper level 2 and level 3 to see what level some of your more able children will be working at. It will range from children still learning numbers to 20, to children comfortable working with 3 digit numbers!
    If you have any spare SAT papers from last year, have a look through to see what kind of things are expected there too.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter