1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you a "survivor"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Dec 29, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Woke up late this morning to find out there was no water due to a bust water main. It had just come back on just now. That on top of 5 days without heat when the boiler was replaced has shown me that I'm not cut out to survive without modern facilities. In case of a major event (war/nuclear explosion),I want to go first!
    What about everyone else? Are you cut out to survive or do you just crmble at the first sign of trouble?

2. Survivor - definitely!
    I have survived, alone cos Climber was working, a week without water (and a day without reliable eleccy) being flooded in!
    I have survived 2 days with no leccy - silly error by leccy board when upgrading/fixing something, and it was a weekend too!
    I have survived 3 days without heating (Last December would you believe) I chopped my own logs, having tracked them down in the snow... I was stuck in the house then too!
    It helps that we have an open fire, BBQ that we use all year round, water butts available for all down pipes (OK they are dustbins) and live very rurally so always have a good stock of stuff! Add in the fact that I am not averse to shooting and skinning rabbits, we have 4 chickens, veggie plots and designs on a family pig and I think you get the picture....
    ...even if not true I like to think I could survive!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm definitely a survivor. I used to live in a cottage that was so cold you opened the windows to let the 'heat' in in winter! That coupled with LPG to heat (yeah....some joke) the place which always ran out when the snow fell and the delivery lorry couldn't get to you, or at Christmas, or New Year or any other time the lorry couldn't get to you!
    We had power cuts, frozen pipes, the lane was often blocked in winter by stupid lorries who'd followed their satnavs and skidded into the hedge at the bottom of my drive so we couldn't get out.
    Jeez................how I managed I don't know but it has made me a survivor (I lived there when I had no job and little income too. It was grim. Life was grim)

4. MMmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    Belle you may have the been the previous tenant here!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I like to have all mod-cons, but have struggled on wothout in the past....
    Living without hot water...been there, done that...not my favourite thing in the world, but I survived for years like that.
    Living with no inside loo...yep, done that too....not fun. Especially atv2 :30 am in Winter....when you <u>really</u> need to go - and not for something inoffensive that a pot under the bed will be sufficient for! (Not that a lady of breeding such as myself will ever admit to such things......)
    No fridge, freezer or cooker....I've survived for over a year with just a microwave, a kettle and later my trusty slow-cooker.
    No TV....I did this for a year when doing my teacher-training. Given my accomodation it was just easier. I did have my little radio - couldn't cope with Radio 4!
    No washing machine...and no nearby laundrette...all the fun of a weekly schlep with a shopping trolley to the nearest laundrette. This was also when I had no hot water - so handwashing was done by boiling the kettle (which just ate up money on the meter!)
    No telephone...I don't have a land-line, just a mobile and only ever phone/answer one number!...Life would be easier if I had/could use a phone, but I've almost grown used to it!
    No running water.....done this for short periods....and this is the real sticking point for me! All other things I coped without. I wasn't happy - but I survived. No running water is more problematic. Especially now that I am more or less disabled. I'd need someone to help with fetching carrying buckets of water for me.
    So.....yes, I'm a survivor - but only out of necessity!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our camper van generates all its own electricity via a solar panel and we live off grid for weeks on end in the summer. If we head for the Med we can warm up our own hot water in the sun using a black PVC camping shower bag on the roof. All we need is a way to top up the drinking water from time to time, and a drain to empty the bog and the grey water down every few days.

If my house was out of action I'd simply park it on the front garden and live in it. As a student I used to live in a small ridge tent for up to two months every summer when I was working on archaeological sites. I loved that lifestyle - making fridges out of buckets buried in the ground, bathing in the local stream etc etc

7. BelleDuJour

I thought that myself Pobble. Cut from the same cloth you and I, including owning chickens! I had to use boiling water to thaw out the chicken's water every day in winter, and carry buckets from the house to the stables for the horses as the outside taps were frozen solid. Happy days...........NOT!

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Complaining about living in a cottage and owning horses? [​IMG]

9. I can survive but I don't much like it. I have a vague nostalgia for ice on the insides of the windows but the reality is less attractive.

10. Careful jumping to conclusions about people who own horses - I grew up in a family owning horses and sometimes lived in quite difficult conditions because of it - owning horses doesn't mean you're rich or live in luxury! Once you have horses, they live a long time, and you're stuck with them even if times get hard. And then you end up living somewhere remote where you can stable them cheaply (like a cottage, which may not be all lovely and roses-round-the-door!) where the pipes freeze etc, and no matter what, you've got to look after them before yourself or they get sick, which costs a packet.
    It's a way of life for those born into it, like I was. We had them all my childhood, at least 2 and up to 6 at one point, and never a brass farthing to rub together (or whatever the saying is!!).
    One of the places we lived in was described as a cottage but it was 2 outbuildings which my mum (a single mum, left with 3 kids by her feckless alcoholic husband) linked with a sort of corrugated-iron roof thing, which leaked and threatened to fall down when it got windy, it had no kitchen, so we cooked in a caravan someone gave us. Mum built the stables on her own with her own hands (concrete floor, timber lashed together with wire, I seem to recall). We were allowed to live there for a year or so for very little rent. Another time the 4 of us lived in the caravan in her friend's garden for 6 months.
    I think the fact that I grew up in a family owning horses (not to mention a feckless alcoholic dad!) has made me a survivor, actually!

11. BelleDuJour

Indeed.
    Yes.
    And cottages are not all they're cracked up to be. They are not like the ones pn postcards, jigsaws or chocolate boxes.
    Mine was bloody freezing, draughty, tiny damp, and cost around &pound;100pw to<strike> heat</strike> keep above freezing in the winter.
    Would I go back there? No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I must admit, I don't take my lovely home for granted. I was brought up in poor circumstances: the outside toilet in the shared backyard; the tin bath hanging outside; no bathroom until I was fourteen. God knows how my parents went on. Passing the 11 plus and going to the grammar school was my passport out of all that. Talk about social mobility.

13. Seems that most of us answering yes all grew up in what would now be considered uninhabitable homes.
    Caravan, yup, a holiday one that was parked in a field. We had fun digging the latrine pit and the smell of the sanilav stuff is a constant reminder of freezing in bed.
    Back to back with lav in the yard and no bathroom, yup. I don't think you're born until you have lived with a night bucket!
    Cottage with similar sanitation and complete lack of heating, yep. I almost miss the tin bath, I almost changed my mind about using one as a herb planter (I thought it might come in useful, justincase).
    So the weird drafts, ill fitting doors, metal frame windows, lack of shower (slopey roof defeated us) and all the other things that make people shudder when they visit us in winter don't really impinge. An extra jumper and totes, wellies and thick coats are all that is needed.

14. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I used to supply teach in Hull while living in a house with no heating. Was a 45 minute bike ride to work, too. Needless to say, I ate like a trooper yet didn't put on any weight.

I have heating now. It isn't necessarily a good thing.

15. We had no central heating for about four years in our current house and survived with heavy quilts, an open fire in the living room and plenty of jumpers. It wasn't so bad really - we could have fixed it with a little budgeting but it never really seemed worth it - and we only had a new boiler installed when we went travelling and rented the house out. I am still vaguely surprised whenever warm water comes out of the taps though despite this being the second winter since it was fixed.

16. started to list my survival stocks, but got embarrassed - but yes, i could go quite a while without quite a lot
    but like airy - i'd rather not!

17. Having spent many winters in house where the hot water tank was tiny and powered only by the immersion heater, I find myself now luxuriating in constant hot baths, filled to the brim.