1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you a punctual person?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Time management, or lack of, has been for years a problem in my life.
    I am the type of person who they say would be late at their own funeral [​IMG]
    Anyway, this is something I should very much like to change in 2011 and beyond.
    How important is punctuality for you ... and do you expect it in others?
    Thanks and a Happy New Year to you all, lovely tessers x

2. ooh, I should add that punctuality was never a problem for me professionally ... only in my personal life.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'm always on time if humanely possible.
    I hate being late, it's so rude!

Exceptions are when (for example) there's been a major RTA and a road is closed. I allowed 2 hours for a journey that should have taken about an hour and a quarter recently. However, due to an accident it took me just over 2 hours so I was 10 mintues late for my conference. I felt dreadful for being late - how rude of me. However, as it was beyond my control, I didn't feel too badly about it. As I get older, I am beginning to forgive myself more for lateness that's not my fault.

4. You're right lila, it is rude.
    Thing is, I don't know where I go wrong. I never set out to be late and I do try to be organised/leave in good time etc. It's always the last minute things with the kids that trip me up, such as not leaving enough time to get shoes and coats on!
    Ever since having my third, I've felt like a complete disaster area!

5. If anything I am always slightly early for things. I don't appreciate people being persistently late.
    I get into a panic even when things are out of my control. For example when going to a course once I got stuck in terrible traffic and was late, despite leaving more than enough time for the journey. Being stuck in that jam was horrible because all I could think about was being late!

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I am punctual to a fault and regard it as extremely ill-mannered to be late.
    I have a theory that punctuality is a declining facet of people's lives thanks to the rise of mobile phones. When I was young, if you made an appointment (social or professional), there were few options available to let the other parties know you were running late and so you made damned sure you left yourself plenty of time to get there. Nowadays, it seems that there is less emphasis on punctuality as a quick text or call saying "running late" is demed sufficient.

7. yes, it's doubly annoying when it's not even your fault!
    I hate running late, hence my resolution to change my ways. That nervy feeling in your stomach. It's really not worth it!

8. I'm always early for stuff - I get very stressed if I'm "just on schedule" to get somewhere for a given time - I reduce the stress factor by making sure I arrive stupidly early for things.
    Always always always been brought up to view punctuality as a show of respect for the person you're meeting and to be on time for stuff - to the extent I apologise if I'm not at a supply booking by 8.15 and say sorry for not being there as early as I'd have liked to because the traffic's been a pain/I got lost/the postcode sends you a mile down the road on the sat nav/my agency gave me the old name for the school that's been merged and re-named for 2 years now (seriously guys - STOP DOING THAT ****!)

9. Funny doomzebra, but I used to be consistently early in my younger years but my teenage peers were a nightmare by comparison and I used to be kept waiting ... so I gradually got out of the habit of being punctual.
    Not that I can blame them 20 years on, of course!

10. I don't think anyone minds if its genuinely out of your control.. cancelled train type thing.
    I prefer to be a few minutes early and wait before going in if it's someone who finds people being early rude.. i have a friend who would much rather I were late than early.
    It isn't always easy to get kids co-ordinated and out the house.. in the distant passed when I was a Nanny I planned leaving time sthat were 5-10 mins earlier than I needed to depart.. so the kids hav ethere shoes on early and teh bags are by the door etc.. but it is not always possible.
    I automatically add a time safety margin to doing anything.
    But when push come sto shove we are all human, sometimes being later isn't really a big deal.. you can always get the next bus if it's a non work day out. You say you aren't late for proffessional things so you knwo what to do it's just a case of choosing to apply on other times.
    But don't beat yourself up.. and if you can when meeting someone arrange to meet them betwen 10am and 10.15am.. in your mind you aim for the 10 and you have your saftey margin..

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I am always on time and if I should be late for whatever reason then it causes me severe discomfort.
    The only way to be more punctual is to give yourelf time to get to your destination and then add some "wriggle room" so that if something does go wrong then it won't matter.

12. I had a friend who I swear ran on a different time zone to everyone else. At first it was endearing, then it just got bloody annoying! She was the manager of the shop I was working in at one point and when we had floor moves on a Sunday morning she would always promise to pick me up at 4am. Needless to say it was often closer fo 5am (a real pain to sit around for an hour at that time of the morning!).
    The time that went too far though was when she was picking some of us up for a boat party. She had to get a few of us, then drive to our friends house where the minibus would pick us up. Of course, being a party on a boat, you NEED to be there on time or it goes without you. She was ridiculously late and we ended up having to run down the pier in Greenwich to make it to the boat on time....not the best start to a glam evening!

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Me too. I think it could be a sign of being overly bothered about what other people think, which could be seen as a weakness, but I also think it is a "good thing" practically speaking. If other people are punctual I'm well disposed towards them and tend to think we'll get on.
    To be honest though, with three children , even I would forgive you being late. Try and really concentrate on getting out of that door and prioritise that over other things. I'm not good at multi-tasking and can have tunnel vision when it comes to being on time.

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Someone who is persistently late seems to be telling you that their time is more important than yours, so they keep you waiting rather than having possibly to wait themselves. So they're telling you that they are more important than you are. Not very nice. It can be hard to get out of the house on time with children but as someone said, you have to plan to leave early and then if things go wrong you won't be late.

15. I am never, ever late (unless there had been an unforeseen reason and this would be unlikely as I leave *so* much extra time). It is the height of bad manners. Unfortunately myself and my dad are the only ones in our (rather large) family who operate like this. They are terrible. My sister could say 'I'll be there at 5' and then turn up 2 days later. Not even a joke. I no longer wait in especially if one them says they'll be round. I just say text me when you're actually leaving - and then know there'll still be about 30 minutes before they even do that. Drives me mad [​IMG]

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Absolutely punctual, I think most teachers are!! Like others I'm only late if thingsare out of my control.

17. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I had a friend like this. She would be at least half an hour late for everything, and the last straw came when I asked her to be my bridesmaid. She was over an hour late for the fress fitting, and breezed in without an apology, thinking her tardiness was in some way an endearing part of her personality. I told her there and then that I no longer wanted her to be my bridesmaid and she was totally gobsmacked. I suppose I shouldn't have tolerated her lateness for so long, but I'd just had enough. I haven't seen her since!

18. I try to be punctual, and am often guilty of making it just on time.
    No matter how early I try to prepare for something, I always run out of time in the end.
    If I am going to be late for any reason though, I will make an effort to phone ahead to let the person know and apologise - even if it is only going to be a few minutes.

19. I hate being late for anything and like some others have said the idea of being late is really stressful. I usually plan journeys with extra time added and then add a little more time just in case. Generally arrive far too early and have the problem of what to do to fill the extra time that I created. Mad I know!

I think it stems from my childhood where a large, disorganised family plus two buses to school meant that I was often late. Having a surname beginning with B meant that I wasn't one of those fortunate late-comers that just scraped in in time for their name being called out. "Late again Barry?" Oh dear! Scarred for life.

20. I always have a book or a magazine in my bag in preparation for my inevitable 'earliness'.