1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you a masochist?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm going to try to watch the Stephen Fry programme this evening, But it will make me writhe.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The Baftas?
    I hear he's quit twitter again over some comment he made.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No, not the Baftas. The thing about his manic depression.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Oh, no that's too much for me. Either cringeworthy or will have me weeping so best avoided either way.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Apparently he quit Twitter after being castigated for describing the winner of the costume design BAFTA as a bag lady. She did look pretty rough to be fair. Apparently, they are friends and it was 'bantah.'

But of course, Twitrer went mad and Fry flounced. I think it's a shame that a subject of such importance is somewhat devalued for some people because of the person presenting it.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Doubtless.

7. Flere-Imsaho

The subject isn't devalued. The programme might be.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Whatever he is on, its all about him.

Duke of York likes this.
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

He's putting on weight too.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You might find this programme I listened to last night interesting, Lascarina. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/579/my-damn-mind

It relates the story of a man with bipolar disorder who went through a series of delusions, interspersed with periods of lucid thought which led him to take himself off to hospital to be treated for the manic condition he was in.

It's a bizarre, true story in which everything that could possibly have gone wrong, went wrong and he ended up being tasered and shot by the police whilst in a hospital ward.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I saw the previous one - hard to believe it was ten years ago! I am not sure if I will watch as it's a bit too close to home.

12. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I lost my husband to bipolar seven years ago and my son has inherited the condition.
    I will watch the programme because I want to see if anything has changed, but I find it hard to relate to Stephen Fry and I think he actually does bipolar sufferers a dis-service. Bipolar is a serious mental health condition that can have devastating consequences for sufferers and their families - I agree with Jacob: for Stephen Fry, it is all about him

Flere-Imsaho and Lascarina like this.
  13. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

He's a bit of a flouncer. Who cares if he goes, frankly?

14. aspensquiver_2

Have watched a documentary on this before. It was good and worth watching as was the one he did on the HIV test.

But other than that he has become a pain.

15. aspensquiver_2

Yes but say what you like about him, he is bipolar. His experience of the condition, as it affects him, deserves an airing.

16. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Remember that unexpected spat between Patrick Stewart and James Corben? Stewart was being an idiot and that put me off him.