1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are you a good judge of age?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Mar 3, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Dining in the pub with my sweetheart this evening, I was idly looking around and trying to place the ages of the other people there. I realised I wasn't very good at this game. There were quite a few I suspected could probably be a similar age to us, but they seemed older from their atire, hairstyles and general demeanour.
    I asked my sweetheart how old she thought I looked, and she very kindly said "fourty". I asked her if that was because I have long hair and she said "No, you look a lot younger when you have your hair cut."
    How I'd love to be fourty again. How old do you think you look?

2. I always think people are about the same age as me - a few years younger or a few years older. It's always a surprise when I realise half my colleagues are young enough to be my children.

3. I aim for invisible these days ...... so I dont want to look any age.
    I'm at the age when people tend to become invisible anyway so I'm not bucking a trend or anything.
    I dont know who the person is in the mirror, though she looks remarkably like my mother.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Do you tie it back in a pony tail, mm?

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Like Willie Nelson? I've seen videos of him with his hair in plaits as well. No, my hair is the sort of thing that looks good in a speed boat. I can just imagine being in one now with the dog's ears being blown behind her as she hangs on for grim death.

6. so you don't have to go and ask them...
    http://guessmyage.net/

7. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Sadly I have always looked older than I am! A Capricorn trait I believe?
    Recently I saw a salesman in Tesco and as I was pushing my trolley and I was hoping he would not stop me - alas he did offering "Did you know that you can get care in the your own home?" I wanted to cry or else scream at him ''I'M NOT READY FOR THAT YET AND WONT BE FOR SOME TIME TO COME!!!!!!"

8. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I have always been terrible at guessing ages.
    When I was a teenager, I worked at a football ground. One of the ticket booth operators started chatting to me during a quiet moment and I'm not sure how it came about but he asked how old I thought he was.

He had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, his skin was rather leathery and he looked quite tired with bags and wrinkles starting round his eyes. I thought he was probably around 40.

So, wanting to be nice and not cause offence, I said 30.

He was 24 and singularly unimpressed. I have a feeling his next move, had I guessed more accurately, would have been to ask me out, so my lack of skill came to my rescue as I really wasn't interested!

9. I find it very interesting..........
    and sometimes a bit worrying.
    - how unobservent we are.
    When out with my grandchildren - pushing a pushchair - strangers often assume I am the mother.
    Even after having a conversation with me, some still assume I am the mother. Some dont, one good look at my face gives a rough approximation of my age but even with a good look some continue with their initial assumption.
    Also, in invisible mode, entering a shop and moving quietly I sometime feel ghostly.
    People just dont see you. The invisible mode must be a tactic developed by shop lifters.
    It makes me think sometimes about witnessing ....... how accurate is it .....how much to we live within our assuming bubbles?

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I do that, too. What goes with it also is a tendency to look at people in their fifties and think they must be at least twenty years older than you. I was staggered recently to find a woman I'd filed under 'lots older than me' was actually a year younger.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Many folk think i look younger than I am..........but im told my behaviour.attitudes and responses to comments and opinions make me old lol Strange my daughter calls me one of the oldies club..........and says my greying hair gives a clue to my age.
    Now i wonder if folk who have meet me would care to comment? lol

12. joli2

joli2 New commenter

That's dangerous territory oldsome. I used to look younger than I am, but that seems to have slipped away. I wouldn't dare ask anyone to guess now for fear of what they'd come out with. I'm jobsharing with my sister this year- kids I forgive for asking if she's my daughter, but the member of staff who did the same....grrrr

13. Maybe they just think you are an older mum Alenga. When I was in a pushchair my Grandma was the same age that I am now and my two children are barely out of a pushchair.
    My husband who is a few years older than me has been referred to as "your Grandad" by people talking to my children on several occasions - he wasn't too pleased!

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How strange that you should say that. I was going to post something similar when the OP's started the thread.I always used to get comments that I did not look my age but I've noticed lately that nobody looks surprised when I mention that a big birthday (50) is coming up. It certainly don't get the "wow,you don't look that age" noises.
    It could well be that I'm now in the middle aged range and nobody cares if you are 45,55 or 65 as it's all the same to them!

15. Yes - it was having kids after 40 that did for me. Middle age, poor sleep and little time to spend on hair, makeup, exercise etc and I've gone from people being surprised at my age to people showing no surprise at all.