1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are whole school morning meetings a good idea?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fartyowls, Sep 6, 2020.

1. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

The whole school (large school - primary and secondary) are having morning meetings at 8am. The chairs are in the hall and spaced out, as opposed to meeting in the smaller staffroom. I am the only one who thinks this is not a good idea?

What if the secondary D&T teacher starts coughing and infects the Year 3 teacher? Do the entire staff go into isolation for 10 days?

I can't see why this cannot be an email.

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Or why cannot the Headteacher and SLT chair a meeting for the department leaders to then cascade any important information to their teams? That will make more sense.

iamdeborah2016 likes this.
  3. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

or just send an email

celago22, MrsBridgewater and install like this.
  4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Or do it via Zoom, Google meets or Microsoft Teams as appropriate

5. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Despite getting several emails a day, we're still holding full staff meetings twice a week in the hall. Chairs are 1 metre apart. We're also holding pastoral team meetings and departmental meetings. We're also still running whole school lunchtime detentions too, across all year groups in the hall.

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Especially with the strictures imposed by Covid, whole school meetings before the school day begins seems absurd and unnecessary. There are better ways of preparing for the school day than spending an hour listening to voice recitals by the SMT. A ten minute briefing is one thing but before school training sessions is another. Having to get to school for eight o'clock would be difficult for those who have to drop children at primary school, too. Before school meetings might soon become in addition to after school meetings, not instead of them,

7. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

Generally a waste of time with pompous people stating the obvious.

8. Jolly_Roger15

What a way to start a school day; having zeppelin-filling amounts of hot air sent in your direction, imparting no information of value, and wasting yet more of your precious time.

9. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

My experience of these types of what are often called morning 'briefings' is as follows:

'I've sent you all an email, but I'll just go over what it says...'

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

How is that a good idea?
    It creates even more movement around the school,and further diversifies physical proximity to others.
    And it takes twice as long.
    So no, it does not make more sense, least of all for department heads who are busy enough already with just the one meeting in the morning, precisely when everything else they are actually employed to do is actually at it's most pressing.
    At the beginning of the day people call in sick, cover needs to be set, resources need to be collated, rooms need to be ready, kids have questions, parents arrange phone calls,printing and copying need doing.

I really don't know why any school ever decided it would be neceesary to stop teachers doing any of that so they could convene to listen to stuff which they could have been told about the evening before at leisure....it can only possibly be because school leaders generally don't believe that life is difficult enough for most teachers.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  11. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Do you remember how there were actually FEWER meetings before email/Zoom etc were invented? And there wasn't a pandemic on. I appreciate that there might be lots of last minute guidance/U-turns at this time, but, like everyone else, can't see why more in-person meetings is appropriate than any safe online method.

cazzmusic1, ajrowing and agathamorse like this.
  12. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I can't believe the point about detentions. So, forget your homework, get an increased chance of killing your parents?

13. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

Generally annoying at the best of times - especially Mon am.

This time is an opportunity to reduce, shorten or admit to better ways to communicate.

Often a self-important one telling the whole entire staff info that only has minimal, direct relevance to only a handful of staff. Sigh.

Only 2 benefits:
    - cakes on a birthday (are we still allowed?)
    - laughing at book day costumes - excessive effort v couldn't be bothered

Anyway - these are different times so reduce/ limit face to face meetings and communicate differently whenever possible. For Pete's sake.

14. Jolly_Roger15

Oh, yes! Like Maurice Chevalier, I remember it well. That dreadful moment when someone in the hierarchy, who has sent a poorly, or ambiguously, worded message to everyone, feels that they have to 'unpack' (or is it 'unpick'?) what they think they meant at great length, like taking matchboxes from a tea chest, one by one. :(

Other variations on this abound, such as, "I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that 'paperclip awareness week' starts today."

Morning 'briefings'. If only they were brief!

15. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

These are the types who would do anything to avoid Teaching!

cazzmusic1 and ajrowing like this.
  16. Jolly_Roger15

Becoming management or administration are favourites for this.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  17. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

Thanks all. Good to know I am not alone!

18. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

Paperclip awareness week :)

There's always someone, who knows every single initiative remotely related to children!

Newsflash - I've never had the time to collect crumpled competition entries for every single contest just so you've got something for the newsletter. Please nominate a pupil and send them round to collect instead, for Pete's sake. Better still put a box in reception for those interested - let's not coerce kids to enter competitions they've no interest in. It's a national competition and you're unlikely to put that portrait drawn on lined paper in the envelope anyway. No more repeat reminders during briefings please.

Phew - it's out now :)

Anyway meetings like all gatherings, if they're unecessary cut them out or cut them down.

19. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Personally I think whole school morning meetings are an excellent idea. They are a real opportunity to get everyone pumped up and motivated for the day and allow SMT to communicate information without relying on people to read emails!

More fundamentally, they are great for building and inculcating a culture throughout the whole school. They enable staff to network and share ideas with teachers in other departments who they would not usually meet.

20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Free coffee and biscuits for all staff at morning break would do this more efficiently and also encourage warm feelings towards the SLT and positive views about the school...Something which compulsory morning briefings really don't do.