1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are we to expect suicide bombers will be part of our lives forevermore?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I see in the news that there's been another suicide bomb, this time in Pakistan. At least 50 dead this time.

I can't get my head round what it's all about. Has there ever been an occasion when a suicide bomb has changed the political landscape? What can possibly be in the minds of suicide bombers?

Is there any way they can be prevented?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Outlaw Islam... Most, the vast majority, of suicide bombers act in the name of Islam.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I know it's a bank holiday, but you've had enough now. Time for bed.

InkyP likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

Lahore... Christian Pakistani families targeted by Islamic suicide bomber

5. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Scint, somebody might report that post! It's below the belt!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Best outlaw Shinto too then, just to be on the safe side.

[​IMG]
    (Not sure why he's donned a life jacket given the mission, but there you go.)

Indirectly - the suicidal defensive tactics of Imperial Japan during the WW2 Pacific campaign was one of the justifications for using the Atom Bomb to bring the war to an end quickly and avoid the massive allied casualties that an invasion of mainland Japan would have brought. It also made allied forces more merciless in their conduct of the fighting - they weren't over-keen to take prisoners. The chilling message behind all this is maybe suicidal enemies have to be granted their death wish by all means possible in order to achieve peace.

7. EllisCarver

EllisCarver Established commenter

The assassination of Rajiv Ghandi?

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I am so sad at the state of the world. It was heartbreaking watching a mum tell the news reporter that she had lost two of her daughters. She had found the body of one but not the other.

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Not all of Islam are extremists.
    But all intolerance of difference leads in this direction. Even the right wing marchers in Brussels. They were just the same kind of stupids.
    Why cannot humankind learn to be kind?

delnon likes this.
  10. inky

inky Lead commenter

You are a seriously deluded pl onker if you think that's a good 8dea.

jacob, coffeekid and InkyP like this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I have been asking myself if top ranking politicians have been meeting to discuss if or when we implement Israeli methods of dealing with suicide bombers,

Despite this nation (tiny) being surrounded by people who want it levelled and destroyed, they have almost reduced suicide bomber attacks to zero in Israel.

Why? One aspect is they have made it very, very clear that if you bomb us young man, we will bulldoze your mother's house and destroy all possessions.

Not perfect but it does seem to decrease attacks dramatically.

Could it come to that? Scary to think.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jerusalem-violence-why-does-israel-bulldoze-homes-terrorists-1522716

12. FrankWolley

The OP clearly wants to know how to avoid suicide bombers becoming part of our everyday life. That will only be if we find a way to rid the world of the pernicious ideology which breeds this type of terrorism.

The best way will be to expose the fantasy, the lies at the hear of this (and all) religions - they are fairy tales told to children. The suicide bombers aren't in paradise ravishing virgins. They are no-where. Their worthless lives are, fortunately, over. Let's get the message to all - god, allah, whatever you want to term it, doesn't exist. They are fictions.

13. FrankWolley

Part of a strategy to fight a war - a war the Japanese knew they were losing. Not used generally against innocent civilians, children in a park.

A very poor comparison. 3/10. Try again.

14. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

There are an estimated 1.3 to 1.6 billion Muslims in the world.

So best of luck with that approach.

15. FrankWolley

Can always start closer to home.

But can you suggest another way of stopping the pernicious evil of suicide bombing radical islamist terrorism has brought to the West?

16. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

Again, very quickly, suicide bombing is a Wahhabi-inspired thing these days now that Hezbollah seem to have given up on it. And Wahhabism is a Saudi thing.

Apparently, the Saudis are in the process of constructing a museum to honour al-Wahhab in Riyadh. Meanwhile, as Abdel Bari Atwan states in his book on ISIS, 'Every Saudi school child is required to study Kitab al-Tawhid (The Oneness of Allah) by al-Wahhab....in which jihad is normalised, becoming part of the vocabulary of everyday life. This education system produces young people who are already radicalised.' The curriculum, consisting of sectarianism, a call to 'fight the unbelievers', and an unharnessed condemnation of the moral depravity of the West, has been exported to the wider Muslim world.

Here's Atwan again:

'King Fahd gained a reputation as a playboy and a gambler, yet during his reign, $87 billion of government funding was spent on 210 Islamic centres, 1500 mosques, 202 colleges, and 2,000 madrassas in countries as diverse as Pakistan, Nigeria, Bosnia, Chechnya, Canada, USA, and Britain, among many others.'

Under King Abdullah, not much has changed, and the Saudi aim remains to 'wahhabise Islam', to eliminate diversity within it.

I therefore think that if there is a solution, it must have something to do with where it's all coming from. And that somewhere is the leadership - religious and political - of Saudi Arabia. But on the whole, I'm pessimistic. I reckon suicide bombing will be with us for a good while yet.

There's also a book just come out on Islamism by Tarek Osman. Maybe you'll find some suggestions in it.

And now I really must go.

17. magic surf bus

Whereas the current use of suicide bombing by IS has nothing to do with a war, they're just doing it in their spare time - I see.

Maybe not suicide attacks as such, but I think the civilian population of 1930s Nanking could tell you a few tales about mindless fanaticism - all part of a similar terroristic mindset surely?

My target for improvement before my next appraisal - thank you. Where do I sign?

18. FrankWolley

I don't think many people would agree that ISIS/Daesh are fighting a war similar to WW2. And the Japanese suicide pilots mostly targeted US armed forces - is that what ISIS are doing?

When in a hole, stop digging.:D

You know your example doesn't work, don't you?

19. magic surf bus

I thought I was contributing to a discussion - I didn't realise it was a Thunderdome scenario, ie two men enter, one man leaves.

I bow to your all-seeing senior commenterness and will contribute no more, for the sake of a quiet life.

coffeekid and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nanking was a monstrous crime against humanity...

To see it dismissed with a grin emoji... sums up the 21st century.