1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

are we over planning too much adult led?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Hi can anyone share or give advice on reception daily routines as I am concerned that our Head wants too much adult directed work.

we currently teach 20 min phonics, 15 min maths with small group work, 15 min literacy with small group work maths and literacy does have elements of continous provision but also enhanced and adult led too. we plan 4 literacy and 4 maths each week and 5 phonics?

is this too much - what do others do?
    help appreciated!!!

2. louisea

louisea New commenter

Hi
    we do a similar amount of amount of stuff to you, usually 2 literacy/numeracy focused tasks but maybe more, 5 phonics too.
    For my current class it seems okay as I have quite an able bunch. I wonder if the new curriculum is going to be more work and less play for EYFS? and that is why heads are saying this.
    My EYFS advisor is coming into school next week so I may ask her
    Louise

3. Thanks for the replies - I thought we were supposed to have a 50/50 balance between adult led and child initiated each day? If this is the case then it sounds like we are all too adult led???
    With the new curriculum I guess it could all change again anyway! ahhhhhhhh!!!

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Your OP doesn't look as though it exceeds 50% adult-led - in what way does it? And can't you plan for some elements of child-led during the adult-initiated?![​IMG]

5. As far as I'm aware there's no guidance for the amount of adult led/child initiated time you should have. However, your assessments should be approx 80% through child-initiated activities, therefore you should plan for sufficient time to do these child-initiated assessments.

6. Your job, or dare I say 'calling', as a teacher is to promote children's learning. Teaching is only one of the ways to that end- or rather early years teaching is mulit-faceted and subtle. often too subtle to the untrained eye from key stage two (and ofen noadays one) that wanders into the early years and blinks. Blinks once, then twice then squeezes shut for awhile unable to contemplate the mult-tasking, the autonomy, the social develeopoment, the construction of understanding, the sheer drive, the optimism that is in the young child. Nor can they often undrestand the concepts that underpin childrens learning throught concrete first hand experience. Such eyes as then then once open, see only with astonishment and horror and demand that the beatiful kalaedescopic wings of the learning bird fluttering impossibly around their heads be brought to rein and instruction should tether it to the branch
    I would say fight for your birthright as an early years teacher to bring forth the reality of the expectations and opportunties for children that are your heritage irrespective of management fads, of SIPS, and plans and targets and whole-school agenda.

Interaction is the core, of all activity with children, whether we do that and call it maths or literacy or whatever. If you can show how you manage to create interaction for children then maybe your head will keep his eyes wide open in future to the sound of that beautiful bird in flight. Interaction is not one-way transmission of hard concpets according the to the teacher - it is a genuine interchange around experience. It needs time and opportunity, materials and sensitivity, skill, observation, resourcefulness and determination, a lot of vision, a big heart and a wry sense of humour along with a lot of cynicism towards the well-intended, hypnotically reassuring. but ultimately insubstantial and unfit for purpose intitiatives which many SMT's snort and seem unable to disengage from.

7. JEH

JEH New commenter

I too am feeling quite confused and disillusioned with the way things seem to be heading. We have been told by LEA advisors for several years now that there should be an approx 50/50 balance (adult directed/child initiated), which I have been providing. However, recent HMI inspection said 60/40 and that the focus should be on CLL and PSRN. I was also dismayed when, after I'd told HMI inspector how pleased I was that so many children had chosen to write on miniwhiteboards and big whiteboards (using their phonic knowledge and helping each other too!) he dismissed this - because QUOTE 'They are just writing what they want to'. These children had been in Reception for just 6 weeks, and many of them will not be 5 until summer next year!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Could you please explain what this metaphor means? I am finding it rather confusing.

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh but it sounds lovely.
    I like your posts Yohana, but please could you give us some facts now[​IMG]

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

EYFS says there should be a balance between Child led and adult led
    Sue Ellis speaking for the National Strategies made a statement in TES
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6010565
    Basically, one-third of the day should be spent on adult-initiated and two-thirds on child- initiated activities, half of which is spent playing alongside adults.

11. Thanks for that Msz. Although it looks like it's all going to change again soon anyway!