1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are we making primary PE too complictated? Are schemes being fluffed to make more money?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by gogojonny, Mar 12, 2011.

1. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Looking at writing a Primary PE scheme and have been looking at those on the market. I'm amazed at how complicated they have made primary PE, no wonder so many primary teachers are too scared to teach it.
    Val Sabin has created umpteen gym and dance lessons - so many files, all at £100 each. Is profit taking over? It does not say on the QCA site how many lesson there must be, so why has Val created more than 10 sections of gym. She gets 6 weeks out of of counter balance and counter tension, I can sum that all up in 2 lessons max.
    What are people's views on these schemes?
    I have a key question - the QCA scheme states that the required elements should be taught during Key Stage 2. Therefore it is feasible to teach gym and dance during Y3 and Y4 but NOT Y5 and Y6? I ask this because after many years it is clear that the Y5 and Y6s want to play games. As a school we can then make Y5 and 6 lessons more fitness and games focussed, and also offer a gym club to the Y5 and Y6s who did enjoy gym and want to carry on.
    Any thoughts?

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Looking at writing a Primary PE scheme and have been looking at those on the market. I'm amazed at how complicated they have made primary PE, no wonder so many primary teachers are too scared to teach it.
    Val Sabin has created umpteen gym and dance lessons - so many files, all at £100 each. Is profit taking over? It does not say on the QCA site how many lesson there must be, so why has Val created more than 10 sections of gym. She gets 6 weeks out of of counter balance and counter tension, I can sum that all up in 2 lessons max.
    What are people's views on these schemes?
    I have a key question - the QCA scheme states that the required elements should be taught during Key Stage 2. Therefore it is feasible to teach gym and dance during Y3 and Y4 but NOT Y5 and Y6? I ask this because after many years it is clear that the Y5 and Y6s want to play games. As a school we can then make Y5 and 6 lessons more fitness and games focussed, and also offer a gym club to the Y5 and Y6s who did enjoy gym and want to carry on.
    Any thoughts?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And I wouldn't even know what they are!

I keep looking at primary PE schemes as it is the one subject I'm fairly clueless about. However they are full of complicated things that seem to take weeks to teach. But when I finally work out what they are on about, they are dead obvious and like you I think 1-2 lessons max!

For gym last 1/2 term I got some plans from resources on here and used those, adapted for our lack of equipment. this half term, due to a lack of gym equipment in good enough condition for heavy year 6s, I'm adapting a yoga set of plans, also from here.

For the younger years I just want them to be taught how to run, catch, throw, kick bounce, use a bat and ball, jump, etc, etc. Basically teach them hand-eye co-ordination and fitness. Then in KS2 begin to introduce the idea of games/sports and in year 5/6 actually play the games.

But then I have my ideas of what I want for all aspects of the curriculum and could rant on for hours about them...
    Definitely download plans from here as opposed to paying out for them. Save your money for resources.

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Yes - KS1 needs to be multi-skills. I think it needs to be named as a sports unit - eg. football, tennis etc. Doesn't mean they are playing games - a football session for KS1 could involve footballs, tennis balls, just general ball skills. A tennis session could involve relays balancing a ball on a tennis racket.
    I think a lot of the gym work needs to be covered in Rec / Y1 / Y2. I still see a place for gym in Y3/4 (apparatus etc) but with more of an emphasis on in being fitness for games. Then come Y5/6 gym turns into 'health related fitness' and that's where we bring in circuit training, Cooper runs etc. Again all fitness for games.
    My only problem is dance. I think it has its place but not in PE. It is a performing art and hope with the new curriculum review it gets shifted to the arts.
    I agree with the plans - the ones I have looked at have been awful. They have been written to satisfy an OFSTED inspector more than a teacher.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter