1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are university bosses becoming more stupid?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Sep 27, 2018.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Finally, it appears universities are waking up to the problem and taking ACTION - LOL!! Only about 20 years too late, but hey, better late than never.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45640236

So, a call has been made by the 'intelligent' people running universities to 'ban' essay writing companies.

1) The UK does not run the world. How do they expect to be able to ban the many essay writing companies from e.g. India and other third world companies?
    2) You cannot 'ban' students or essay services accessing and using the dark web to do business. How do they propose to do this?

I'm appalled at the naivety and ignorance of 'university bosses' for a complete failure of understanding how the modern digital world works. Given the amount of money they are paid and their access to well-qualified advisors, and the crazy rises they have had in recent years, you would expect a modicum of intelligence over this.

What they should be doing of course, is to insist that there is a complete overhaul of assessment methods at universities, including the use of exams and coursework done under exam conditions, to compliment and match reasonably well work done in students' own time, away from the university.

Their dumb proposals are all about saving money for their next pay rise rather than rescuing the integrity of the university system. And this is not solely a university problem. This kind of stupidity can be seen in many school courses, e.g. the NEA ****-up in the GCSE Computer Science earlier this year.

Clueless, 'special' people have too much influence in education!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As I understand it there is software that allows one to check if an essay contains plagiarised material - that would catch out quite a few cheats. Add to that (as I would) immediate sacking for any student caught using such companies (but their student debts would continue of course) and I wonder how many would cheat.

But what I wouldn't want to see is Universities forced to change assessment methods just due to cheats. Why let the tail swing the cat, as they (probably don't) say...

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

There is a piece of software called "Hand-it-in" which is used by Universities to detect plagiarism but it cannot detect bespoke work.

I had occasion to asked about a piece of work several years ago and it took me just a few minutes to find the exact web page that the student lifted the work from. It depends upon the nature of the plagiarism.

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

There are quite a few UK based essay writing companies, so it would be a good idea to ban them, but agree that doesn't stop students accessing other sites.

I spent some time dealing with this issue in my work, it is a big deal in universities and there are robust plagiarism policies, so if you are a repeat offender you will be asked to leave. There is software - we used Turnitin - but as with anything there are ways round it as you will find if you Google 'cheat Turnitin'. It is good at detecting work that has been lifted from the web but less so if the writing has been wholesale written by someone else.