1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are unions actually any good?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kevinstreet, Oct 6, 2016.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The leaders see their job as caring for pupils and parents.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It was the leadership of mine that failed.

3. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

And mine.

racroesus likes this.
  4. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Here it was more toadying to the LA (may have changed since I retired - new regional officer and national secretary).

racroesus likes this.
  5. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I will have got the terms and acronyms wrong here but... new HT coincides with SISRA. Latter made residuals/progress hate look worse. People with borderline "acceptable" results formed a disoderly queue outside the office to check they had something to worry about.
    Not expensive old dead wood, not clueless NQTs, just rank and file staff who had unrealistic arbitrary targets imposed on them, got a less brilliant class than last years, and then saw their pay progression jeopardised further by a change in the school data-fudging process. Not one or two but twenty.
    They should be calling a meeting to which the HT and unions are invited to air their concerns but are all, of course, "too scared of looking carp" - heard that one a few times.
    Ridiculous.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

The union reps in the school where I worked were active and supportive, with individuals who needed them, they spoke up in staff/ LM meetings and had meetings with SLT. Staff attended union meetings.

When I needed union assistance I was referred to union members at regional level and their support was very good. However, there were instances I witnessed in my career where the union's hands were tied because legal loop-holes had been found.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'm terms of employment the state parse may not directly employ all teaching staff any longer, however they still regulate the profession itself in terms of teaching qualifications by dictating training routes and acting as a funding and regulatory body.

Let us be under no illusuons, despite the smoke and mirrors, as funds are dictated by the state so too are the level of wage increases or stagnation, whether directly or indirectly.

8. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

Good grief. Well, I think that answers the OP's question, if a management team are so scared they try to ban them.