1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are TLRs negotiable?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mazman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mazman

mazman New commenter

Are TLRs negotiable? I'm applying for a new job and believe I am very well qualified with lots of experience. The TLR they are offering is below the one I am on at the moment. Are they negotiable? Will they question why I want the job? In my opinion, it is not all about money and I really want the job because it is interesting and would widen my experience.
    Your input would be appreciated!

2. mazman

mazman New commenter

Are TLRs negotiable? I'm applying for a new job and believe I am very well qualified with lots of experience. The TLR they are offering is below the one I am on at the moment. Are they negotiable? Will they question why I want the job? In my opinion, it is not all about money and I really want the job because it is interesting and would widen my experience.
    Your input would be appreciated!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, they're not, because the TLR structure for the school as a whole has to be agreed by the governing body and any changes to it put up for consultation etc.

4. mazman

mazman New commenter

Could you not, therefore, suggest a higher TLR, then the school would have to approach the governing body again?

5. becky70

becky70 New commenter

I would have thought there would be another applicant who would take the TLR being offered and the school would appoint them instead of you. I would be surprised if they would want to take it back to the governing body.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, I'm afraid in an interview situation that's just not going to happen.
    Your best option is to take it if offered and then, once in post, try to demonstrate why it's worth more - but if it's been awarded that amount because it's like other, similar TLRs in the school, they won't just put yours up for you.

7. mazman

mazman New commenter

Yes, that does make sense. Thanks very much for your advice ( :