1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are they unreasonable or am I?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Pingumummy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I knew it would be hard work going back after my second child but lately it just feels like the demans being made of me go from heavy to excessive. I know teaching has always been hard work but sometimes I think it's just all getting too much. I work 2 days a week as a secondary MFL teacher. I had estimated that this would require two days in school and another day of work at home. Now it's more like four or five days.

Some details.
    We have had two book inspections already this term, with written reports submitted to management.
    All books must be marked as follows; mark for literacy, mark for content. Write about what level it is and why. Write about what they could do to reach the next level. This must be in sentences. Stamp the work with some/good/outstanding progress and say in what respect. Failure to underline headings must be corrected. A comment must be given in French or Spanish
    Drop ins are done at least half termly in addition to performance management.

Is this average? Do you all do this? One set of brooks takes two to three hours to do to the required standard. I have no family to help with child are and so have to do the work once the kids are asleep. Last Friday I paid a friend to look after the baby just to get it all done. Yesterday, a beautiful day, my husband spent most of the day in the park with the kids so I could work. Today he's taking them to the supermarket.
    So, normal or excessive? I usually arrive at work by seven thirty, last week it was by seven. A colleague with two kids gets up at four thirty three days a week to work. A colleague with no kids says she feels like crying when she thinks about how much she has to do every week.

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Excessive. They are only doing this to try and tick all the OFSTED boxes......

3. It is just getting to much now....I have collagues who are all saying the same thing and I feel like crying with the work load at times. I have no life outside teaching with the pressure that is being put on us. Teachers cannot possibly work to 68 like this!

4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Indeed. Do what you think benefits the pupils and not SLT.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's amazing how over the years teaching is no longer considered a child/family-friendly profession.
    It always used to be seen as a career that lent itself to those women who wanted to work and have a family at the same time, what with the working day coinciding with your own children at school and the matching holidays too.
    My father's entire staff (primary school) in the 1960s and 70s were women with young families and they all pursued hobbies, had regular social evenings together in term-time and seemed totally un-stressed.
    My friend went into Secondary teaching in 1977 and worked in a restaurant bar two evenings per week and on one day at weekends in order to afford her mortgage and the expense of her first baby. She carried on with the bar job for a while when she could manage without the money as she liked the opportunity for adult conversations that were not about school! I can't see anyone entering the profession these days being able to juggle a f/t teaching job, a p/t bar job and two little ones.

6. You should have seen their faces when I said I couldn't necessarily take care of work emails when I am at home with the baby! Blasphemer!

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Indeed I'd make certain I didn't even check them on those days - come what may!

8. Don't quite dare do that. The big O are due and it's possible that they could give the 2 days notice on one of my days out of school. Not a fan of discovering they are there when they walk in the door!

9. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

This all sounds depressingly familiar - do you work at my school?! It really is getting ridiculous, I've always accepted that there's a lot of work to do at home but in the past it's mainly been lesson planning and things which are clearly for the benefit of the students, so although I've bemoaned my lack of free time, I haven't really minded doing these things. This year, the majority of what I seem to be doing in my own time is Ofsted hoop-jumping which has little or no effect on the pupils themselves, and that's what I really resent.

10. Under the 2003 Workload Agreement your Head is needs to ensure that you have a reasonable work life balance. Contact your Union for advice.

11. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

I have a work colleague who has set up an auto-response on her school work e-mail that sends an automated message on her non-working days that says:
    "XYZ works the following days each week (lists the work days) outside of these times she checks her office e-mail only sporadically and will reply on the next working day"
    They soon got the message ;)

12. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Why on earth don't you all stand up for yourselves? I know the number crunchers have taken over teaching, but this is ridiculous!

13. Should start doing some number crunching of our own. Time how long you spend doing all this excessive marking, add that on to your school day commitments and any extras (meetings and the like) you have to do. Present it to SLT and point out how much overtime you're doing and ask what they want you to drop e.g. less classes to teach, less meetings or more reasonable marking criteria?
    OK I probably wouldn't be brave enough to do this but I have taken to watching how much work I do after I realised it was affecting my health.

14. I also hate the fact that I just put up with it. I'd ner have guessed that I would but the situation is difficult. I really need this job even if it is just two days a week. I need a job that fits with school holidays. I need the money. Our SMT have a way of making life difficult for those who don't conform. A friend tried it and her life was made so difficult she has since left the school.
    Things came to a head yesterday when I left the classroom halfway through a particularly stroppy class, approached my HOD in tears and ended up going home. I was just so tired, so stressed and so frustrated having arrived at just gone 7 to do reports that can only be done at school to find that my laptop was dead and there was no way to do the work. This after spending most of the weekend working and doing a twilight till 6 on Monday.

15. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

How do you suggest we go about standing up for ourselves, then? Presumably you've found a effective way to do this, seeing as the situation seems to be much the same in most schools.