1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are they just bad mannered down under?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Mar 10, 2012.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've had three interviews now with not even so much as a 'thanks but no thanks' afterwards... grumble grumble... [​IMG]
    Hows everyone else doing? You feeling any happier today welshchoc? x

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That sounds awful. Try not to let it get to you though. I had a trial shift (hospitality) where you work for free, they give you a meal) and they didn't let me know! I also had an interview at a school who phoned to say there were trying to see where to slip me into the timetable. Then failed to call me afterwards! On the plus side though I also had one day supply at a job which turned into several more days and even a two month full time position (I suspect if I had a different visa i could have worked past the 6 months they gave me in total)

Hopefully something will turn up. Is it just you over there or could you do some rural work (which is easier to get)?

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

A bit. You?
    Sorry to hear that [​IMG] x

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry to hear of your non-feedback re jobs littlemissraw.Not much change from here then- though in fact I have heard back from my last application-No thank you of course!
    "How's everyone else doing?" For myself, not had any jobs to apply for in a while,but just as well with all that's been happening with my Mum (short version- hospital and now needs full-time Care)!

5. littlemissraw

I'm lucky as I actually have some casual shop work so managing to meet people now which helps.Just wat a career as opposed to just a job...
    I think its rude not to respond to an application (but aware it happens all the time) but an interview?! Just amazed!
    Aww yours sound pant too lorri glad it turned out all right in the end! Are you still abroad? x

6. littlemissraw

Yep oddly, don't know if its just me that has the emotional roller coaster with job hunting? (I doubt it) Sometimes I think how great it is not to have to sacrifice everything for a job and sometimes I'm inconsolable that my life/career isn't where I thought it would be at my age.
    Was talking to a customer the other day and they asked what I had done in the UK, when I said I'd been an Associate Lecturer their reply was 'Wow this is a bit of a step down isn't it?!' [​IMG] yeah thanks for that...
    Hope your weekend is lovely welshie, and that next week brings something wonderful for you x

7. littlemissraw

Aww you poor thing [​IMG], hope you get a run of equally nice things to balance everything out soon!Not long till Easter and hopefully more jobs with it.
    I applied for a job in Sydney yesterday, its 300km away from my OH if I get it but doesn't seem to be all that much coming up in 'the sticks' (and I figured the chances of an interview would be pretty slim anyway) x

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Yeah, in the end I got supply after turning up at the school and handing them my CV (I did this with about 10 schools and got lucky in one!). I'm not abroad any more but I have just been offered a job to start in August abroad.

I mentioned doing regional work not just as 'backpacker' type jobs but also teaching jobs. From what I hear over there not many people want to do these and it can give you experience teaching in Australia if you do. Glad that you have something though :) It's easier to make friends and actually enjoy living in Australia when you have some work and can meet people more easily.

9. littlemissraw

Thanks Lorri, our town is classed as regional but the downside is
    they want someone fluent in the Aussie Curriculum as they only seem to
    have one D&T teacher per school!
    Our residency visas are through now so hoping that will make things easier.
    Still no words from any of the interviews now and its been 3 weeks. Not impressed! xx

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not looking good then littlemissraw. Big consolation hug
    [​IMG]
    At least you have some sort of job which is making things easier financially (hopefully) and helping you settle and make friends.
    Thinking of you and do keep us updated. (Got to have find time to have a really wonderful picture of champagne corks poppoing and fireworks when you do! )

11. littlemissraw

Nope, I got a rejection from one this morning (but it was expected)
    Aww what a lovely picture Lara! [​IMG] Having 'a' job does help, less time to dwell on things for one (and I can afford to come home for Christmas which I'm delighted about)
    Lots of love to you and your mum, don't know what we'd do without you! x