1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are they for real?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by coldmetal, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

Why is it Colleges Schools and Academies the organisations that run these don't seem to be in the real world?

They post a job for such ridiculous hours - So many teaching and lecturing posts advertised are between £24K and £45K but then the 'Pro rata' is often buried somewhere. Half of them are being sought by recruitment agencies because their HR departments don't have a 'Scooby Doo' what the post entails and then you get into it you find that they want someone to work 2 hours on a Monday, 4.5 hours on a Wednesday and 1.75 hours on a Friday!
    Who is it that fill these positions? How can anyone survive on a few hours here and a few hours there? They quite often don't even lump the hours together that might make it feasible if one had another thing to support ones'self.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

OK, here's an hypothesis.

Many staff for these posts are female. Women typically are less likely to be employed full-time than men due to childcare and other family responsibilities so these roles are taken by women.

They don't want to live like this. Inconvenient hours. Disjointed etc. But they take the jobs because they must.

For example: I'm (ahem) a mature woman and it's just the sort of thing I might consider.

MonMothma, Jesmond12 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. coldmetal

I suppose if your'e one half of a marriage and not the breadwinner - i was going to suggest women returning to work but thought I might be slammed for being sexist.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And, still being incredibly sexist here, women with school age children often do want these hours. They fit in nicely with drop off and pick up times for their children.

Other people are in the twilight of their career and have taken early retirement from full time work. They like a few hours here and there to get them out of the house, keep their hand in and give them something to do in their early semi-retirement.

Other people are working because the idea of being a kept man or woman (ie having a partner who earns more than sufficient for both to live on) isn't quite the same as the reality and they want some money of their own.

Other people mix and match these posts to make their own full time post. A few hours of Chemistry, a few of Sociology and a little bit of Computer Studies and bingo a full time post!

Have a read around on here. A great many people are desperate for part time work and are finding it hard to get any.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ooh, never saw a lectureship in Bingo but I once saw one for a tutor in Baking/Cupcakes ;)

6. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I could do that!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm going to a cake course during this holiday. Every time I go to one, I want to just stay there and work.
    Imagine a class of 6, all keen and enthusiastic. No targets to meet. No observations. No marking. No-one blaming you if they don't learn. All pretty and sugary and just plain lovely.
    *Sigh....

grumpydogwoman and sabrinakat like this.
  8. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I guess some people might just want time to live their life!

wanet and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

All the fours.......27

10. coldmetal

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

12. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.