1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are they also expecting a letter of application?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pixel, Jan 2, 2011.

1. pixel

pixel New commenter

You should enclose a short letter of application, but I would be wary of a school asking for a passport copy with an application!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I would enclose a letter of application, setting out clearly why you are the best person for the job.
    I suggest that you pop over to the JobSeekers Forum and open the Welcome Thread where there several clickables (on Shortlisting, for example), which give general advice on job applications.
    Is this a job abroad?
    If so, the passport copy may be to prove your nationality. If you are worried about sending the copy (though not sure why, but I'm an innocent in international crime), send it in B&W not colour, and send a copy of a copy with the number Tippex-ed out.
    Best of luck!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Thanks TheoGriff.

Is there a small chance you could perhaps look through my CV and letter of application?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, but you have to pay TES . . .
    So I guess that the answer is really No!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar

5. A letter of application should be around a page. Shame you have to pay the TES though.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well Nicholas, a two-page letter of application would be preferable, accompanied by an executive summary of one page. Three pages in all to persuade the school that you are the person that they want.
    Just one page would not be considered enough by most schools.
    You don't have to pay the TES - there's loads of excellent and effective advice in the clickables inside the Welcome thread in the JobSeekers Forum.
    Free!

7. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Theo:
    What do you mean by a one-page executive summary??

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Come over to the JobSeekers Forum, go into the Welcome thread and then read the clickables inside about shortlisting. They explain it.
    Very effective as a technique, as other posters say:
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    and appreciated by Heads who receive them:
    <h3><h3>The benefit of an executive summary </h3></h3>Funnily enough, tomorrow's seminars include a session on how to write an effective executive summary. No, you can't come - there is a waiting list, and anyway isn't it a bit far from Malawi/Buenos Aires/Beijing or wherever you are?!!
    N.B. I rarely come on this Forum - it's best to leave queries on JobSeekers or Independent.
    Best wishes