1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are these kinds of clothes okay?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SM_BSc, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

Hopefully starting my PGCE in September (Secondary Science spec. Biology).
    Just wondering whether outfits like the one described below are okay, or whether the trousers look too casual:

Blazer (probably with a similar blue striped shirt) NOT THE RED TROUSERS:
    [​IMG]

Trousers (on the skinny side but not skin-tight like the photo):
    [​IMG]

2. Hi everyone,

Hopefully starting my PGCE in September (Secondary Science spec. Biology).
    Just wondering whether outfits like the one described below are okay, or whether the trousers look too casual:

Blazer (probably with a similar blue striped shirt) NOT THE RED TROUSERS:
    [​IMG]

Trousers (on the skinny side but not skin-tight like the photo):
    [​IMG]

3. Schools can be a bit funny with their dress code, so your best bet is to wait until you get there. On the other hand, I've bought three pairs of straight leg chinos and two blazers which I think looks fine, but I'm going to be teaching in the adult sector which is notoriously more relaxed.

4. Thanks for your reply. I love chinos!

5. Me too. It's so rare for me to want something when it's actually in fashion and available that I just had to buy some. They're kind of high waisted too, with one pair being a sort of icy lilac and the other being a brick dust red (last pair is good ol' navy) so I have no idea what colours to pair them with.

6. I think the brick red will go with cream, white or black tops. Maybe even navy. I have some navy ones but find it quite hard to pair stuff with them.

7. As someone says wait until you get the school as dress codes vary wildly - you always dress very smartly for the first day and then suss out what you can and can't wear and/or ask for the dress code. I know that the school I work at now would consider them unacceptable as they would be too casual and tight - not even the trendier dressers in my school wear skinny trousers to work (although you did say they weren't as tight as the photo.)There is a really good thread on student teachers
    at the moment, with advice on clothing especially how to go about testing your clothes as a female teacher.

8. At my school I don't think these would cut it tbh, I think they are a bit too casual and jean-like. Also, you won't be wearing your blazer; I'm Biology too and I move around too much to wear anything like that (and we get filthy)!