1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there new level descriptors for KS 2 English?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by annemarie5559, Jul 24, 2015.

1. I'm a private tutor (ex school teacher) - recently a parent brought me information on her year 3 child to say that the child is at level 2 but that this was good for that age because the levels are different now. Is this a national initiative or is it just the school?

Thanks

Anne-Marie

2. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

It is likely to be locally developed, although it sounds like it's not like the old level 2, but rather being used to indicate working at the expected level of a Y2.

I'd disagree that that was "good" for a child at the end of Year 3, even given the increase in expectations, but then, it rather depends on the school's system.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I am glad someone knowledgeable answered first.

My understanding is that 'levels' as such will go, and depending on subject, will involve 'mastery' with some subjects having below/ above expected levels. But I understand the 'proposed level descriptors due in Autumn might now be scrapped?

Certainly at present schools are allowed to set their own 'levels' and so Level 2 would mean whatever that school says it does.

Certainly if it's the 'old levels' a level 2 for a child at the end of Year 3 I would not personally equate with 'good'

4. Thanks for your responses. It was as I thought, although it is counter intuitive given that most of us are used to the old system and would worry at a bright year 3 being given level 2.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter