1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there many people striking in your Primary?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT1986, Jun 15, 2011.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I'm not at work today so don't know what's going on really-I couldn't tell you who belonged to which union either! Are ATL striking now as well as the others?

What will happen, do you think? Will the HT ask who is striking and then those classes do not come to school (as I remember doing as a child in the 1980s) or will they just get the HLTAs to cover those classes for the day?

2. NQT1986

Well...out of the 17 ATL/NUT members at my Primary, I've just found out that none of them will be striking!

3. I hope they are all resigning their memberships then, or are they just scabs?

4. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

I won't be...

5. 4 teachers .....I'm the only one striking. Think it's disgusting, they'll be happy if the strike action works but too spineless to stand up for what they believe in or too stupid to understand the consequences of what the Govt want to do.

6. NQT1986

I just wonder if the HT will get in enough supply teachers to cover the absences (using the money saved from not paying the striking teachers) and the day will continue as normal??

7. Usually, members of other unions are asked by their union to support the strike and not to do other duties. Therefore HLTAs and supply teachers can not cover strike absences.

8. NQT1986

I thought that was the idea in theory. I just wonder if HLTAs/cover supervisors/supplys would do it anyway-if their HT asked?

9. Heads are in a union too and one that even supports the NUT stance, so they'd get direction about not doing that. If they do do it, they might be breaking the law..(not sure about the legalities of this).

10. Quite a few at mine will come out. The Head is NUT, but not sure if she'll strike. We will probably close as my school doesn't use anyone other than teachers to teach any lessons.

11. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

It has not been mentioned in my school yet but I have a feeling that striking will be frowned upon and bet no one does. I believe that if you are a member of a union who has voted to strike then you should, if you are willing to use the protection of a union you should support the decisions it makes. I genuinely do not know how much the pressure to not strike will affect me if no one else is, as I know there would be consequences.

12. If you get "frowned upon", you should report that to your union. The head has no right to ask you if you're personally going to strike - the union informs them on your behalf that all members will be striking on that day. You just don't turn up that day. Any consequences after this would be illegal.

13. cally1980

Unfortunately legalities and my school do not work harmoniously together! Though the local union rep has had a few dealings with them already and so it will not come as a shock. I am just concerned about the implicit consequences and general atmosphere!

14. NUT guidance notes say it is illegal for supply agencies to supply cover staff to work in place of striking staff. Unison has already advised its TA members not to cover striking teachers.

15. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

It is a shame you feel that you won't be able to strike. However, it is the bold part I have a problem with. Too many people have the wrong idea about unions. They are a service. I pay for that service and I will choose when I want to use it. Just like car insurance, just like home insurance and even just like my Leeds Uited Supporters Club membership.

16. cally1980

I wouldn't say I have the wrong idea, just a different one to yours! Aside from the fact that I agree with the strike (pay freezes - fine, long hours - fine. I love the job and I can handle reasonable economic changes but I am not comfortable with the extremities of the pension changes) I also believe that if I expect support from them I should give it in turn. The strength of a union is in its unity!

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

union
    Definition
    An organization whose membership consists of workers and union leaders, united to protect and promote their common interests.
    you are a member not a service user

18. I'm an HLTA and a Unison Steward ... so if our school stays open I won't be covering staff who are out on strike. My daughter's school were quick off the mark and sent a letter home tonight saying their school will be shut.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would think it is a courtesy to let your HT know whether or not you will be in school. Our HT won't know which union everyone is in, so cannot make a decision about closing the school or not without asking.

It is all very well unions letting HTs know, but if people choose not to strike, regardless of union decisions, then the HT could end up with everyone arriving at school after expecting no-one.

20. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Well that is one definition, and a fine one at that. It doesn't change the fact that we pay them to provide a service. If I want their help, I can ask for it. They will provide it to somebody who goes on strike or somebody who doesn't.